The photos show my problem..............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/toptec/?action=view&current=P8160002.jpg

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/toptec/?action=view&current=P8160001.jpg

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/toptec/?action=view&current=P8160005.jpg

The first two show my kitchen ceiling that has been stripped of its polystyrene tiles. The marks are where the glue has removed the paper. Is it possible to skim this using the usual Unibond process or is there something else I need to do first. Trying to avoid replacing the whole ceiling.

The third photo shows a small cubby hole I have blocked up and so far have prepared with Thistle bonding coat. The bottom half was done with Thistle bonder from Wickes the top half with the same from Jewsons. Is there a reason for the different colour. The bags seem to be exactly the same? (Although Jewsons charged me £8.50 for a bag whilst Wickes was only £5.34.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
I'd strip all remaining paper from the ceiling first then clean it and PVA it (the ceiling, not the paper!) prior to skimming.

hI Toptec,
Would agree with that,remove all paper,and pva.I have also used the pink bonding coat.Most of the bonding-coat that I buy comes from the builder centre and it is grey in colour,but last year I was buying bonding coat plaster cheaper from B.Q.It was pink in colour,and it set far quicker,so I was able to put on the multi-finish much earlier.Both of them are made by British Gypsum,the plasterers plaster.I did enquire about the difference in colour to British Gypsum,and was told that it depended on the colour of the gypsum used in the manufacture,nothing more than that.Hope that helps.

Regards:Roughcaster.

dont mean to be thick but you sure that paper on the ceiling ? looks more like paint ? probably never white washed the ceiling thats why its dropping off in patches ?

but anyways, if it is paint as said before, remove ALL paper, even the tiniest bits (if you want a nice ceiling) im sure you will be taking down that light right ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. Will do as suggested and remove all the paper, and it is paper not paint. I'll let the forum know how it goes.

By the way that light has followed me for 31 years, its a good bright light as opposed to down lighters and I keep assuring 'Er indoors' it will be replaced.......eventually.

Just reading your take on the plaster being a different colour from jewsons and wickes, as in the following reply to that it is literally down the manufacturing process, alot of people find it to be the same with alot of building materials out thier (such as bricks for instance) it shouldnt affect the performance anyway!

The only difference, other than the colour, was that the grey seemed to have dried harder than the pink. Being a bit of a novice I put this down to the way I mixed the coats. The two skim coats I did worked out well on both and the finish is the same throughout.

I am soon to mount some wall units on this part of the wall so I am hoping there will be nothing in it with regards solidity.

Cheers for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back