The plasterer is coming tomorrow.. yay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally I have someone coming to plaster the stairs walls - its been a long time waiting.
Few questions.

1) He got us to PVA the existing old plaster, this was a couple of weeks ago - does it need more on the day?

2) How long after doing the backing plaster at about 1" depth should it be left before the skim coat is done?

Sponsored Links
Let him worry about all that, that’s what you’re paying him for. (y)

whats the issue with the failing plaster is it damp or background movement?
second coat of 50:50 tacky pva has to be done just before spreading.
if you need a 25mm depth then if it was me i'd do it in two 12mm coats of render not gypsum. you can do it in two coats of gypsum but you have to scratch the first coat and catch it just right for the second coat.
Same with skim coat, depending on how big the patch and how warm/wet things are i'd say give it 10 to20mins before turning on it with two coats of finish.

The plaster was first put on by jeddadiah oldfart in 1730 (the house was built in 1855 so it was plastered before even being built its that old lol) still has horse hair in it and it's very loose on the walls.
So we removed all the loose bits (they fell off with a scraper)

So it can be skimmed the same day as bonding?

Sponsored Links
I know nothing really of plastering but my mate used to be a plasterer and did loads of work on our old house 30 years ago. He used to skim it the same day as bonding it but From memory, it wasn’t as thick as you say yours would be.

Its OK, talking to them the skimming will be later.
They are just boarding and backing now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back