The real reason for the push-out of Smarty-pants meters?

never quite see the point All that displacement just to achieve 500hp. when you can get a 2.0 ford to make the same power.
It’s a bit like a 18stone roid head with a 3” penis .
It's the V8 music (exhaust note). Nothing quite like it - certainly a highly turned in-line 4 cylinder just doesn't sound the same.

Sponsored Links
The USA V8's are a rave from the grave really. It all started because an easy way to get power - bigger and bigger engines but the power output they gave was really crap / litre. Friction losses could be improved by honing the cylinders. Then balance and carb changes etc = more power. An American would say they are smoother than 4 cylinder european stuff. True but a 6 cylinder is smooth too. i think straight is smoother than V but that might be down to what I have driven but the difference is noticeable. Other than an old Shogun I ran to tow a caravan for a while. It used some sort of balanced shaft engine, Not so good as a V6 Isuzu which would crawl along in 3rd at a few mph but that will be down to tuning,

That just leaves more bangs per rev which can be arranged to mean usable at lower rpm than fewer cylinder engines. Suzuki once changed from 4 to 6 on one of their jeep things years ago for that reason. :) I wanted to get one for my wife in the hope of getting her to drive again. Nearly worked but she wont.

So 1000hp big high reving V8, I'd wonder if there is any gain really if less cylinders can do it. An American colleague offer me a drive of his supercharged thing if I ever went over there including taking me somewhere that would allow the power to be used. :( I never did go,

It's the V8 music (exhaust note). Nothing quite like it - certainly a highly turned in-line 4 cylinder just doesn't sound the same.
Stick a turbo on and they wont sound the same. :)Just add an MGB was not that much power but a rather nice exhaust note,

So 1000hp big high reving V8, I'd wonder if there is any gain really if less cylinders can do it. An American colleague offer me a drive of his supercharged thing if I ever went over there including taking me somewhere that would allow the power to be used. :( I never did go,

There's a lot of physics involved, but V8's have an advantage over straight 4's & 6's when it comes to putting the power down onto the tarmac. If I were to own another BIG motor it would have to be a V8 or V12.

Sponsored Links
There's a lot of physics involved, but V8's have an advantage over straight 4's & 6's when it comes to putting the power down onto the tarmac. If I were to own another BIG motor it would have to be a V8 or V12.
I'd make it 4 wheel drive if you want to put power down also mid engined. More cylinders means more bangs per rev but tune for high rpm and some of the advantages will be lost.

:) I nearly test drove a V12 Lambo when looking for a last silly cheapish car to run for fun. I sat in it and adjusted the seat and told the salesman that I couldn't reach the gearstick - he laughed and said they were designed for F1 drivers, nearly always small.

LOL Then moved to a De Tomaso. Drove it, auto and concluded it was stuck in one gear. Interesting experience as it wasn't easy to tell in some ways other than top speed seems raher low and accell not too bright really. Mentioned it to the salesman who phoned some one who said it will be fixed if I buy it first. :) Probably a good job I didn't.

Both old.

If I wanted a V8 now I would look at Jag XK's. They will have been cheap at some point. No idea how they figure now. Cars like that always depreciate rapidly. Actually the XK was designed by Aston Martin who were really disappointed when Ford wouldn't let them make them. There may be other V8's about that don't sell too well at some point in their life.

Why those v12's. Short stroke relatively small cylinders which are easier to fill more completely. Pointless idea really with turbo and superchargers around.

Back