Actions to save gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the early 1970s the price of oil rocketted, and the price of the new fangled natural gas also increased. At the time I had my thermostat set at 70F, about 21C. The money saving advice given was to reduce the thermostat setting by a few degrees, and that is what I did.
In the later seventies raging inflation gave rise to a cost of living crisis, and mortgage interest rates were much more than they are now, again the money saving advice was to reduce the thermostat setting by a couple of degrees.
When Norman Lamont used interest rates to fight inflation in the mid eighties we were again advised to reduce the 'stat settings by a couple of degrees to save money, and it was the same advice given each time consumer 'experts' were commenting on other crises over the years.

All this advice has resulted in my thermostat being set at 6C since 2012. The heating hasn't come on, apart from a brief spell overnight when the beast from the east hit a few years ago. My gas bills certainly have reduced, but it's been bloody cold sometimes. With my smarty-pants gas meter showing zero use since 2018 I am at a loss how turning the 'stat down a further 2C (the latest advice) will save me any more money?

Please help.

:unsure:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back