The same brick or different ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi. I've been sent some Salisbury samples by Hanson for an extension that I'm building and they look a pretty good match to the original bricks on the house. My builder has been sent Hanson Canterbury bricks by his brick supplier. The supplier says that the Canterbury brick and Salisbury brick are identical and that Hanson use a different name according to whether they are supplying it to builders or developers. I have to say that the Canterbury bricks look more red than the samples that I have been sent labelled 'Salisbury' but I am willing to accept that it could be a batch difference and I will have to settle for a less than ideal match. Does anyone know of this practice of having two names for the same brick?Does anyone have experinece of using the two bricks and know if they are actually the same or different?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The supplier is wrong. Bricks will have different names, and not change depending on who buys them.

But there are variations within a range, so one brick from one range may appear to be the same as one from another range.

You need to see more than one brick if you want a true comparison - perhaps go and see the packs in the yard to see if the brick is truly representative of the range

EH Smiths at Shirley, Solihull are normally pretty good at identifying bricks and advising what bricks were used on the newer estates. Or try the actual developers, or the local planning department.

But remember that even the same bricks made a few years later may be a different shade - so it may be worthwhile ignoring the actual name and going by looks alone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back