Mortar different colour on garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our garage converted into another room. The builder was unable to get a good match of colour for the bricks so we are going to get the bricks tinted and that is being done next week. However, the mortar looks to be a completely different colour to the existing mortar. This is completely dry now. If this looks really out of place once the bricks have been tinted, is there a way to lighten the colour of the mortar? I knew about the bricks not matching, but I didn't anticipate the mortar to not match either.

Attachments

• PXL_20221121_153346909.jpg
    PXL_20221121_153346909.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Mortar beds can also be tinted, did the person who is tinting the bricks not discuss that? not 100% sure how easy it is to lighten the colour as your mortar looks very dark.

The guy who is tinting the bricks only saw the difference of brick colour, he didn't see the mortar as it wasn't built at that point. I just had the brick sample.

Maybe it's just me, in which case I apologise profusely as I really don't want to upset anybody, but mortar matching should be the least of your worries - that whole thing looks horrendous! I would suggest a different window and get the whole lot rendered.

Sponsored Links
Mortar colour is influenced by the cement and sand used. Depending on how old your property is, it could well be that the cement works which supplied the original builder has been closed down.

Think you could of got a better brick match.Butterly Leicestershire russet looks closer to your existing bricks.Motar too dark.

The original brick is one that Persimmons used but it's discontinued. The builder said he'd tried all the places he knows but couldn't get a good match.

The window just matches the rest of the windows on the house... I don't want to render, it cracks, needs upkeep like painting and I'm not a fan, plus very expensive

Just to add, this picture was taken a few days ago before they'd finished, so the sealant around the window has been dealt with.

Last edited:
. The builder said he'd tried all the places he knows but couldn't get a good match
He should’ve tried brickhunter

the mortar looks like it’s been tinted with black mortar dye

I agree with Notch, the mortar doesn't just look like it has come out darker, it actually looks like it has been coloured darker? Standard cement:sand would have been a closer match but I reckon the original was cement with red sand. Red sand brings a fairly light, almost pinkish, tint. Not really red at all. Sadly, I don't think there's anything you can do about it now. Having done a fair bit of tinting myself, working from light to dark is no problem, but dark to light is, well, not really possible.

Looks like he's used a sharp sand and too much cement.

If that truly has dried, ie two weeks since built, then you'll need have it raked out and repointed. And cancel the brick tinter.

The sill looks very wavy to me have you stuck a straight edge along the top of that?

maybe its my ocd but the brick lintel arch looks a bit rough, no pattern has been stuck to you got some stack bond and then some half bond

maybe its my ocd but the brick lintel arch looks a bit rough, no pattern has been stuck to you got some stack bond and then some half bond
The arch is original, not part of the conversion. The bricks/joints in that type of double course arch will inevitably stagger - and at some point coincide - the inner circle being a smaller radius than the outer circle. Back in the day you would have had rubbed bricks and the arch could have been perfect and evenly spaced, but those days are long, long gone for estate housing.

Garage conversion blokey near me, sometimes I do his planning apps if required, if he can't match the bricks exactly he does a contrast or some cladding or something, makes a feature of it, looks so much better than the absolute abortion the OP has ended up with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back