The Serious Risk Of Wearing Fake Rolex Etc Watches

Thing is, I reckon in this scenario the old cliche is true. If you have to ask anything about the cost of purchase, maintenance etc, these cars probably aren't for you. Many of these owners, to an extent, probably couldn't care less if their <insert supercar brand here> isn't reliable in the traditional sense of the word. And if a replacement wiper costs £399, 'so what?' will be their attitude.
Most car purchases come with a 3year warrantee of some sort so other than wear and tear servicing costs are the main expense - ;) for some time period anyway. So in some ways it comes down to purchase price. Leasing can just makes them a bit cheaper to buy on the never never. If the car doesn't finish up as it should at the end of a lease that can cost. Seems some do have that problem even just underestimating mileage.

Supercars - driven as they are on say Top Gear they might fit more than one set of tyres while filming, I suppose high end traction control helps but the brake type used to avoid the cost of a limited slip diff are a bit different unless true traction control is added. A number of them can have problems with things like speed bumps. Some such as what Aston Martin did and maybe still do make are produced for normal use. Some others try that at times as well. Seeing Bentley mentioned. They were the Rolls for an owner that wants to drive themselves. I was tempted by a used Lambo once, Sort of why not as I could. Sat in it and adjusted the seat to suite my size - couldn't reach the gear lever. Made for F1 drivers who are usually small. ;) These may still be about by various makes but gear change will be some where else now.

Parts costs vary according to make and price range. Odd fact is that all cars use similar things. There is a lot of money in spares. They've got you so if you want to keep the car running people have to buy. After market spares rather the OE can work out but can just be what would be expected for the price paid. Toyota made a lot of noise about this in the past. Not sure they do the same now - spares exactly the same spec as fitted on the car when it was new so they cost more than other makes.

Fact is cars are status symbols to some. ;) How much status depends on how much they can afford. There are oddballs as well. Take BMW's. A popular fleet type buy because the residuals are very good when they are finally sold. That is down to desirability and reputation. Reputation - well just like all they can have problems and sometimes do - serious ones. Audi is a step down from those - a VW really as much of it as there can be. Merc's - interesting to look at what servicing means if some one want a very high mileage out of one. Popular with German taxi drivers and includes an engine rebuild.

Sponsored Links
I am dreaming
While you are awake, dreaming is more or less imagination and as I said before, your only escape from reality is in your imagination here and possibly on other forums. And there can be no better example than the following:
possibly in a couple of years when we sell a property treat myself to a new one, lol

“THE BENTLEY ARNAGE WAS A LARGE LUXURY CAR PRODUCED BY BENTLEY MOTORS IN CREWE, ENGLAND FROM 1998 TO 2009.”​

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It wouldn't surprise me of Aston offered a better all round usage car than anything Bentley now offer. A DBX for instance. I think they also now offer a less silly than some supercar type thing.

Land Rover. With some they are more of a Ford. Range Rover something else. Go back to when they were introduced and they couldn't get to grips with a number of 4x4 aspects truly intended for that market that were common on Japanese ones. Such as diff locks, selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive and an air con as standard suitable for use in just about anywhere in the world. Also some interesting ideas on keeping dust out of the cabin in deserts. Land Cruiser similar but they studied Mitsubishi Shoguns rather carefully. They have had a lot of electronics problems on the Range Rovers. No idea how that is going of late but at one point it involved use of soldering irons and additional bits fitted at main agents. They even involved Jaguar engineers at one point. Neither they or Rover engineers got on well together.

:) The Range Rover sport was really a Disco at one point. I believe they did change that eventually.

In the past I have test driven some car brands that have eventually sold well. That includes from Japan and Korea. They can be rather surprising. I was following an MG ZS the other day. I wonder? Not that it would suite me but there is no way of knowing what a particular car offers without driving it. Price isn't a totally fool proof way of buying the best. It never is with most things.

Fact is cars are status symbols to some. ;) How much status depends on how much they can afford. There are oddballs as well. Take BMW's. A popular fleet type buy because the residuals are very good when they are finally sold. That is down to desirability and reputation.
Same applies to Rolex watches. Not a 'luxury' watch in the true sense, more a mid-range watch but it's the 'desirability' that helps keep their value. That, and the fact that Rolex, like De Beers do with diamonds, limit the release of their popular offerings to create a false market for them. Not helped by idiots who pay over retail price for them. They could easily double or triple their output but that would devalue them.

limit the release of their popular offerings to create a false market for them.
I don't think Rolex do that. More set a price that will limit market size and for what they are offer a good watch accuracy wise. A chronometer needs more careful setting and maybe slightly different works inside. They get a NAME which looks after the other aspects - the best. They also pay a lot of attention to finish. Not all areas may be super shiny etc. Something that often lets fakes down.

LOL Sainsbury had a similar idea from price profit graphs. Forget about max sales, charge more and look at how much actual profit is made. Ideally give people the idea that a better quality product is being offered. In practice it may be or not be. What people think is the important part.

TBH I think there has been too much of this sort of thinking in the UK. Growth of sales has increased in other countries. In other places companies are prepared to put money in to increase volumes and making real use of that means exporting. Labour rates are a problem in some areas. That is what caused a lot of manufacture to leave the UK.

I don't think Rolex do that
They do. Try and buy a submariner at retail price without spending a minimum of a year or two on a mythical waiting list - that's if you can find a dealer that will actually let you go on a waiting list! . If you do, you can make a minimum of £2-3k on top of that by selling it to a dealer. In fact, if you bought one new, the Rolex dealer would not let you have the international guarantee card for 12 months to make it hard for you to sell it.

Edit: A quick Google brought this up. There'll be many others saying the same. https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a578748/how-to-buy-a-rolex-watch/

Last edited:
They do. Try and buy a submariner at retail price
New one on me as have seen them in shop windows and not all that long ago. ;) seems we must have a lot more richer people of late.

If some one wants an Aston or a Morgan paying way over the top can get one more quickly by buying some ones place in the queue. Maybe Rolex are doing that on purpose now. Or it could be due to dealers changing the way they order. Rolex may not offer a next day service to them. Part of the price of many watches is due to them maybe sitting in a dealers stock for long periods.

New one on me as have seen them in shop windows and not all that long ago. ;) seems we must have a lot more richer people of late.

Maybe Rolex are doing that on purpose now.
You may have seen one but you absolutely wouldn't have been able to buy it if it was a Submarinner - other models no problem.

They've always deliberately held the subs back - that's why used ones cost more than retail. Don't take my word for it - ask on any watch forum.

You may have seen one
TBH I am not sure their watches are worth buying but fact, for some reason the styling on some models is impressive. Tastes vary though. Some like massive chronographs blistering with buttons. The other attraction is being automatics. Similar watches can be bought with well known quality cosc movements for a lot less. One example of a source

What ever is spent some people never get them serviced. One good thing about Rolex is they can get worth more over time. A shop would sell my Oyster Quartz for 5 to 6 grand. Crazy. It cost me a few hundred quid. Collecters cause that sort of behaviour.

Yeah, Christopher Ward have a good selection, are well built and are keenly priced. I have a CW slimline dress watch and I only wear it when I wear a formal or dress suit. I've had it 4 years and wore it a couple of times on formal evenings on a cruise a few years ago and again last month at our daughters wedding. Nice and plain, you don't even know yoy're wearing it.

Other than my G-Shock which I use for work, a Christopher Ward and a couple of Omega's make up my entire collection. 4 watches, 9 straps and I have every situation covered.

3742B788-2A51-41C3-9CE0-D387E5E9F0D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Once I fully retire all watches and clocks are going in the bin. I don't want reminding of the passage of time.

Garmin Fenix 5x

Currently telling me that:

- my average resting heart rate is 48bpm over the last week:cool:
- I've done so little since catching the lurgy at the start of December, that I'm "de-training" :(

Sponsored Links
Back