the using of hammerite smooth metal paint on certain surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently i purchased a small burger/hotdog van trailer was wondering if i cood use this type of paint on the exterior of van with hammerite smooth metal paint

Sponsored Links
it will give a nasty uneven finish if applied by brush on a large surface. It is thick and will sag.

It is also rather an expensive paint.

It allows rust to grow underneath it, especially in thin metal like cars and vans which often have rusty seams and rust on the back of the panels.

It is very difficult to paint over with anything else.

I you may have gathered, I have used it but would not recommend it for your van.

However it is hard wearing and could be useful on the chassis or towing bar which are solid and small.

If you can't afford a respray, it is easier and cheaper to get a less bad finish with ordinary gloss paint. You will find it difficult to kep a wet edge on the large panels. Do it on a cool, overcast day.

Tractor Enamel...from local Farm Store ;) spray or roller..cheap as chips+burger :rolleyes:

USE A GOOD PRIMER FOLLOWED BY TWO PACK POLYURATHANE GLOSS PUT IT ON WITH A MINI ROLLER IT WILL LOOK GOOD AND CAN BE RECOATED MANY TIMES,WHEN NEEDED 5 LITRE WILL COST ABOUT £40 BUT IT WILL COVER ABOUT 45 SQUARE METRES SO ITS WELL WORTH THE CASH,DONT BY CHEAP ROLLER USE MOHAIR

Sponsored Links
CAPLOCK.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back