The VAT man never forgets

B

breezer

ok so you import something from say the USA great it arrives you use it or what ever great.

5 months later an invoice arrives from courier on behalf of the VAT man

ok, i was thinking that as i was sent the item as freebie i would not have to pay VAT, guess i thought wrong

Sponsored Links
Got a parcel from USA last week!
Had to pay courier £36.60 COD for VAT and import duty!!

I've been charged vat twice on the same item from the USA ie was sent a replacement as the first didnt work, Vat dept at couriers claim two items in the country = 2 lots of vat regardless if one doesnt work, had to send back the faulty one anyway, claim back the vat on that? no way, you have to prove it was sent back, quoting your vat reg no, too bad if you arent vat registered, thanks Mr Vat Man!

oh don't send anything to Jersey, as they don't have vat, if they send it back YOU have to pay vat on it.

no, i couldnt figure it out either

I never have had anything aginst importing stuff, i know you have to pay VAT and import duty (some still dont believe me) but 5 months later?

Sponsored Links
Isn't this more about 'Thinking we know something' rather than checking and verifying the actuality?

I bought, of all things, :rolleyes: , a PSU from the US - PCP&C, w e i g h t y, was not available in UK at the time, courier charged the VAT... 'Twas a risk, still is, as the item has 3yr guarantee (latest has 5 yr !).. Now avilable from UK outlet.
Actually I'll bin it if it fails ! (hasn't blinked yet)

This would have sorted me... 'Ye olde chestynut' ... Dell to ATX Power Supply Converter... M/C circa 2000.
dellconverter.jpg

:rolleyes:

no its not. the stuff i was sent was sent to me for free as a gesture of good will, but the sender had to put a value on it.

I already know about importing stuff, done a bit, but my point is 5 months for a vat invoice.

The stuff i was sent was sent to me for free as a gesture of good will, but the sender had to put a value on it.
Why didn't they put a value of $1 on it then ;)

Sponsored Links
Back