The wrong cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have wired up a frame with 3x 4w led lamps, using 0.75mm 3 core flex. Each has a 2m run from a junction box.

However, when I came to strip the ends for the lamp fitting, the cable is 0.5mm. Guy in the shop gave me the wrong cable.

Is 0.5mm ok? or should I strip out and replace? The cable runs through the pipe work of the frame and will be a nause to refit.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
are these 12V or 230V

230V will be fine with 0.5mm², 12V will still be well under current rating of cable but some will start mentioning volt drop

Yes 240v.

Brilliant, thank you Gents. that saves me a lot of work and worry.

Sponsored Links
Metal pipe work, with the single insulated wires of the flex exposed where they leave the cable sheath and enter the lamp-holder? Don't forget to connect the CPC (earth) to the pipework and ensure continuity throughout the frame. Otherwise if a core comes adrift and contacts the pipework you might get a surprise when you dust it.

Metal pipe work, with the single insulated wires of the flex exposed where they leave the cable sheath and enter the lamp-holder? Don't forget to connect the CPC (earth) to the pipework and ensure continuity throughout the frame. Otherwise if a core comes adrift and contacts the pipework you might get a surprise when you dust it.

Hi Dave. Yes I have made sure of that. All joints are bare steel and tight, so continuity throughout. Additional earth wired to frame.

Three years ago I had a new boiler fitted. When the guy finished the installation I dusted the new pipework and ..........zapp! He was a Worcester Bosch and Which Trusted Trader! Obviously not an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back