Cable size outdoor LED flood

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I have a cable hanging down outside the house from under soffit for outdoor lights but no lights were ever fitted until now.
I want to attach 3x 20 W LED floods to this cable spread along the width of house - approx 15m.
The shop I bought the lights in gave me an off cut of 0.75mm H05RN cable.

Just want to confirm this cable is ok.

Some of the Google searches I have read suggest 1.0mm is minimum but I have also read where plenty of people have used the 0.75mm so just want to confirm.

Sponsored Links
1mm² is the minimum size of twin and earth made.

O.75mm² flex. is huge for what you have.

Last edited:
That size flexible cable can carry up to 6A, so no fuse needed from a 6A UK lighting circuit to protect the cable.

6A is approx 1500 Watts so, as said, overkill for the 60Watt load. Thinner cable might need a smaller fused supply (e.g. Plug fuse or from a fused final connection unit).

IMG20231123110616.jpg

This is my electrical panel - am I correct in thinking these are 10amp circuits ?

Sponsored Links
B10 is 10 amps

B32 is 32 amps

It is permitted to run lighting circuits in 10A, often done in offices and shops with lots of lighting.

In a house it is a rarely needed, except perhaps for people with lots of energy-wasting downlights and spots. With modern LED lamps, unnecessary.

10A circuits must have 10A rated switches, junction boxes and lighting fittings. Many are, if they are standard size and reputable maker. Some small and novelty devices may not be, especially cheap imports which may be 5A or 6A

If you are fitting external lights it would be wise to fit an indoor 2-pole switch to isolate the outdoor circuit. You will use this when changing bulbs, and it is absolutely essential when rain gets in and causes breaker trips (which it will).

If you use a SFCU you can fuse it down to 3A or something.

In a house it is a rarely needed, except perhaps for people with lots of energy-wasting downlights and spots. With modern LED lamps, unnecessary.

If you use a SFCU you can fuse it down to 3A or something
There are a lot spots in the house alright, mostly now with LED bulbs but house was built 20years ago.
There is already a standard light switch installed inside for the lights, I was just planning to connect the lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back