Thehmostatic radiator valves keep failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, I have a question about TRV's in general but mine are specifically drayton TRV4

Mine seem to keep falling, I bought drayton trv4's (7 in total) one failed within a year, another failed after about 3 years, and so on.. I bought these expecting a much larger lifespan. The plastic degrades internally above the screwing in part, then my radiators are basically on max setting until replaced. Just 2 have lasted until 7 years!
I live in the south and I guess its hard water.

I Would like to find a solution to fix this as near to permanently as I can,could you pleae help me acheive this??

should I change to manual radiator valves?
Should I buy rad valves for like £50 each?
Please what can I do?

Sponsored Links
I have used just the mechanical type for years and years and they generallly last 6 to 8 years although I have two that are ~ 25 years old, the plastic part (like yours) generally goes brittle, I am presently using EPH at around £15 each, two of which are installed now for 6/7 years.
Hard water should have no bearing on the failures as the system primary water is "never" replaced, maybe once every few years.

I've had an idea! Could i fit an isolating valve when they fail and turn that on/off or have some control. I am assuming they are very hard wearing compared to a bit of plastic

Except they fail with the pin stuck in/down then they do fail full open, (if you remove or break off the plastic head), so you can just control the rad in the traditional way, by throttling the lockshield valve that you allready have on the other side of the rad?.

Sponsored Links
Most isolation valves are not suitable for the constant high temperatures of a central heating system.

Good morning, I have a question about TRV's in general but mine are specifically drayton TRV4

Mine seem to keep falling, I bought drayton trv4's (7 in total) one failed within a year, another failed after about 3 years, and so on.. I bought these expecting a much larger lifespan. The plastic degrades internally above the screwing in part, then my radiators are basically on max setting until replaced. Just 2 have lasted until 7 years!
I live in the south and I guess its hard water.

I Would like to find a solution to fix this as near to permanently as I can,could you pleae help me acheive this??

should I change to manual radiator valves?
Should I buy rad valves for like £50 each?
Please what can I do?
Is it the valve body that’s failing or the head?

Its the internals, as you unscrew the valve head and turn it upside down the first thing i see is that the plastic is yellow and crumbles.

this is whats happening, im not sure of terminology sorry

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-30_12-31-59.jpg
    upload_2019-12-30_12-31-59.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 22
6 year old EPH TRV head below, looks in excellent condition, I allways install mine horizontally on the return as I think it gives a far more representative air/room temperature, even though I didn't install them to prolong the TRV head life, they run at a (water) temperature of up to 15 to 20C lower than the boiler flow temperature.

Attachments

• EPH TRV Head1.jpg
    EPH TRV Head1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 13
  • EPH TRV Head2.jpg
    EPH TRV Head2.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 12
  • EPH TRV Position.jpg
    EPH TRV Position.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 10
That's the bottom of the head fallen to bits isn't it? (Rather than the valve body). Agreed a year isn't really acceptable, 7 years is only tolerable. I've been using Toolstation 'contractor' valves with Drayton Wiser heads- been in 8 years now, no problems. The TS heads look quite robust, you could do worse...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back