Thermal membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Still having trouble with mold appearing on a cold outside bedroom wall. Done everything we can think off - but nothing is working. I have read on one of the posts about a thermal membrane. What is it? How do you put it on the all and can i paint over it? Sorry for stupid questions but really need help please.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried sleeping with the window very slightly open? At a push leave the bedroom door open.

There are a number of different types of thermal membranes available. You can buy rubber foam that you glue to the walls, I have used them once but the joins will forever be visible. Other membranes such as the DryZone one are designed to be plastered over. Then you have the polystyrene backed plasterboard products, often they require you to fit new skirting because of the thickness of the sheets.

Additionally, there are paint additives that claim to boost the μ values. I have no idea if they work or not.

Airflow is paramount. Allowing moist air to escape however allows some cold air in. In most cases is the cheapest solution.

bear in mind that the insulation in your loft will probably be between 100mm and 250mm.

If you are looking at a fancy sort of wallpaper about 2mm thick, it will not do any significant good (except perhaps a big dent in your bank balance).

Sponsored Links
Sorry Kath, but there's no such product as a thermal membrane that you can go and buy, but I suspect they are suggesting you add something to the wall to make it warmer, but as opps has suggested, you need ventilation and heat to get rid of mould.

The simplest is polystyrene, but that's okay for the back of cupboards, but not much more, and you move up in stages to the likes of WarmaWall that was about 10mm thick, and then you plastered over it afterwards - but that's no longer available. The best method nowadays, is to attach 2x2 battens to the wall, and then put 50mm of Cellotex in between the battens, and then plaster over it. But if you don't sort out the ventilation, then you'll still get problems.

Sorry for late reply and thanks for all your replies Problem is we live on a busy main road so find it impossible to sleep with window open (even with ear plugs lol). we do leave bedroom door open. Our house is old stone walls (about 2ft thick). The paper he mentioned was Andersons 3 in 1 foil paper?? He reckons you can paper over the top? No the wall doesnt have cavity wall insulation. The wall in question is a pine end wall. I have tried to polystyrene paper it was ok for a while but still had mold areas appearing on it.

If you haven't got the windows open at night, then I'd say it's the moisture that you're breathing out whilst in bed, and having no airflow, it's not being carried away. The Andersons 3 in 1 isn't for warming up a wall, it's to cover damp patches, and stop the moisture coming through, so it won;t do a thing.

Sounds like you need to sleep in noise cancelling headphones/ear buds.

Unfortunately, some remedies are more extreme than others; but as sleep as one of the most important things for your health, I'd say it's something to consider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back