Cold spots on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a roofer down today to check roof and no problems there. He looked at walls and thought we had cold spots. He recommended using a thermal membrane - so my question is can anyone tell me which is the best one to use. Apparently it has 2 layers of foil - which then i can paper over. Please advise.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A thermal membrane could mean anything. Some loft conversion installers use multifoil membranes, (never come across a 2 layer foil) for insulation, when insulating under the roof, but it's not the sort of thing you'd use for walls; you'd normally put up battens, and the use cellotex etc.

But where are the cold spots, and why do you have them, and more importantly, why is a roofer recommending this as a solution.

sorry for late reply. Its a pine end wall. Roofer came and checked rood chimney etc. He said he had the same problem - they are old houses about 2ft thick stone walls so he said he had used the stuff and not had problems since?? What he suggested was Andersons 3in1 paper foli paper. Not heard of it before so just wanted to know if any of you pros had???

Sponsored Links
How thick is it?

Remember that your loft insulation will be between 100mm and 270mm thick, and cavity wall insulation (for those who have it) 50mm to 100mm.

If the stuff you are paying for is about 2mm thick, it will make imperceptible difference.

Try to find out if your wall has any damp, for example by bad pointing or leaking gutters.

As Doggit says, it's possible to insulate walls effectively by applying rigid foam insulating boards and plasterboard, but this has to be at least 50mm thick to be worthwhile.

Sticky foil paper is sometimes used to hide (not cure) damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back