Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason why I couldn't convert a non vented thermal store to a vented version by replacing the AAV on the top of the cylinder with a header tank?

I don't trust the aged back boiler to be pressured on my new second hand log burner and also don't want a pressured vessel

Sponsored Links
Running woodburners on a pressurised setup is risky....post some pics of your unvented, your plan will probably work but you might be better with a new cylinder if existing doesn't have loads of bosses for the extra pipework)

I'm yet to install anything, just have the log burner but can't find a cheap second hand un vented thermal store but have found a non vented one so was thinking of using that by converting it. Just checking I wasn't missing anything before I buy it!

Sponsored Links
I've found this one cheap second hand (attached file) and I thought I would replace the automatic air vent on the top with a header tank to make it a vented tanks, I can't see a problem with that, was just checking that I wasn't missing anything

Attachments

• thermal store.pdf
    544.6 KB · Views: 98
That's a non pressurised cylinder anyway, the vent at the top is just so you don't get an air bubble at the top- your vent & feed setup need to be vertically up from the boiler (or other heat source).
As expected there's only 1 set of inputs to the cylinder (which you'd use for the woodburner), you really need another set of inputs for the boiler otherwise you will get bizarre back circulation problems.
EDIT If your woodburner will be the sole heat source for the cylinder then it'll work- but that's a very labour-intensive way of heating the place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back