thermolite or brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have an external wall which is pretty rubbish (very old house) state. the wall isn't structural but the internals are finished and don't need any work. So my plan is to leave the existing wall rather then knock it down and rebuilt.

There is room under the buildings overhang to simply build a 2nd wall outside of the existing wall to create a more robust structure. I'm looking mostly for thermal and sound benefits over anything else including aesthetics.

I also have a pile of old bricks.

So is it worth building this 2nd wall with the old bricks with (sound/thermo) insulation in the gap (about 50mm) or should I invest in thermolite blocks and render over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did read that they shouldn't be left exposed, so I will render with K-rend to waterproof them. Hope that answers the concerns from your linked post.

my question is mainly about best thermal/sound.

thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're prepared to do the k-rend, may as well miss the step of actually building a wall!

OP doesn't say the wall is structuraly a concern, or presumably would need to take it down. Looking for thermal and sound benefits - EWI would be cheaper, quicker and easier!

OP doesn't say the wall is structuraly a concern, or presumably would need to take it down. Looking for thermal and sound benefits - EWI would be cheaper, quicker and easier!
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant - if they were prepared to do the k-rend, they may as well do the k-rend over the EWI and get the performance you mention and a decent finish, without building a new wall :)

The current wall is full of blown bricks, fitting external insulation with mechanical fixings could be difficult. /hence the 2nd outer wall thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back