Thermosiphon Shower Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am doing an internship with a great organisation and the project I’m doing is a non electric shower. I’m going to present the plan of a thermosiphon shower. As I understand a thermosiphon should only have one tank.

I watched a video of an off grid shower and it looked like it used the same kind of set up as a thermosiphon
and I thought it would definitely be easier to have a water catcher tank (so you can just fill water to the bottom barrel than the top) so now there are 2 tanks that connect to the solar grid. Will this be fine? I have concerns of back flow and if it will even work! I do not want to have the top barrel as the water catcher as I’d like to keep it as it without cutting it in half etc.

This is my idea for the organisation and the barrels will be connected to the solar pipes using hoses.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 065EE87E-E870-4EA3-889D-268E2BD45932.jpeg
    065EE87E-E870-4EA3-889D-268E2BD45932.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
and it looked like it used the same kind of set up as a thermosiphon

It did not use a thermosyphon.

It was gravity from the catcher tank to the heating tank with a person controlling how much water was allowed to get in to the heating tank,

Then from the heating tank to the shower cabin was again gravity down what appears to be quite a steep hill.

The surface level of water in the catcher tank will have to be at or above the required level in the the water barrel if you want to have water in the barrel.

Thanks so much for your response and I changed it right away, does this look better or will it still not flow? Thank you

Attachments

• 5103A2DE-2080-4C56-A6E9-626C57D9F070.jpeg
    5103A2DE-2080-4C56-A6E9-626C57D9F070.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 79FBC615-1A53-420E-B1FC-5B529FD9B066.jpeg
    79FBC615-1A53-420E-B1FC-5B529FD9B066.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your response and link I’ll have a read. Yes that is the plan! It will be made using hopefully recycled parts and anything lying around. It will be for a village so we have been told to keep the budget as low as possible.

The set up has mostly taken inspiration from this video and the thermosiphon technique from this video

OK, I see the idea, only things that would need thought through would be temp control and a suitable gravity/mains water supply.

The water supply could be from a large tank above the installation fed from rain or manually filled and there would be a need for a blending mechanism to regulate the outlet temp.

Apart from that all relatively easy to do I would think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back