thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ive just had a combi fitted but we still have the room thermostat. Im a little confused :confused: . if the boiler has its own heating and water temp control why do i still need the room stat ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
because most combis dont have a built in ambient temperature sensor

Another answer would be that it is a requirement of the building regulations to have one

Sponsored Links
Me & the missus are still confused though.
if the combi has one and there is a an ambient one. what if we set the boiler to 60 and the room one to 30 whats the temp we are getting ?
:confused:
if only everything in life was as simple as computers. ;)

30......didn`t the Corgi installer give you a run down on the workings , and reams of paper/forms...that`s what they charge for, you know...all that high tech knowledge they have

if the combi has one and there is a an ambient one. what if we set the boiler to 60 and the room one to 30 whats the temp we are getting ?

And your next question is: so why does the boiler have to be at 60°C if we only want the room at 30°C?

Answer:

Because that is the temperature the water running through the radiators has to be at for the radiators to deliver their advertised heat output. The radiator has to be hotter than the room it is heating, otherwise it will not give any heat. The amount of heat it gives off is related to the difference in temperature between the radiator and the air.

Think of heating up a saucepan of water: the temperature of the flame is about 200°C, while the water which will never exceed 100°C (unless you have a pressure cooker ;))

I do hope that the room temperature of 30°C is only an example and that you do not set it to that :!: I doubt if the room would reach that temperature, though it might if the ambient temperature outside was about 10°C. In any case, turning a thermostat up to a higher temperature than required does not heat the room up any quicker. All it does is waste gas trying to reach an impossible temperature.

Do you have thermostatic valves on your radiators? These are the fancy ones with white or chrome top and a scale of numbers you can set the valve to?

yep we got trc,s sorry but yep the missus always has it on full i,ll tell her to turn it down. now its been explained i now understand.
as soon as you mentioned cooking i was with. well boiling water anyway.

(chef you see).

what should i have them set to then?
many thanks again

yep we got trc,s sorry but yep the missus always has it on full i,ll tell her to turn it down.

what should i have them set to then?

Provided the house gets warm enough, leave the Boiler thermostat alone, otherwise turn it up until you are warm; the boiler will get turned off by the room thermostat, which should be set to 20°C or 21°C, depending on your preference.

You don't say what TRVs you have, but the middle setting, usually 3 or 4, should be about 21°C.

Also, you don't say where the Room stat is located. The problem which can arise is that the room with the thermostat reaches the set temperature before the rooms with the TRVs. Assuming that the room with the thermostat does not also have a TRV on the radiator, the answer is to turn the radiator down so that the room warms up slower.

If you find that the rooms do not get up to temperature, or it fluctuates, the system may need balancing.

the room thermostat is based on the stairs. it was there before the combi was fitted. originaly the stairs were on there own but weve had a wall knocked down so its all open plan. in doing this we had to remove a large radiator. eventualy we will change the old radiators for doubles. we also ned to get some insulation for the loft etc etc. i read somewhere that loft insulation should be at least 10 cm thick. WOW ours is like a thin sliced loaf. we have just had a lot of work done so again no curtains etc etc.

thanks for all the advise.

we also ned to get some insulation for the loft etc etc. i read somewhere that loft insulation should be at least 10 cm thick. WOW ours is like a thin sliced loaf.

The current building regulations recommend 25cm.

There are plenty of special offers and government backed grants available to provide free or cheap loft insulation and cavity wall insulation, so it might be worth finding out what is available.

Take a look at:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/proxy/view/full/2019/grantsandofferssearch

cheers for that i,ll have a look asap. all i need to do now is find someway of covering up the new outside gaspipe that leads to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back