Thermostat/Receiver not activating boiler. And ideas pls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I need help with my Time Guard Thermostat TRT037 was working fine after being fited by electrician but stoped communicating with boiler after the last visit of my plumber! He had to take the boiler off to change heat exchanger.
Since then the thermostat seems to be sending info to the receiver demanding the heat but this doesn't activate boiler. The only way to turn the heating on is manually.
It looks like the thermostat is fine but I can't get it connected to boiler.
I've reset the thermostat and the boiler. I've tried to pair the receiver with thermostat but still nothing.

Can anyone help pls?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is the light on the receiver responding to the thermostat?

How are you manually turning on the heating?

Yes it is. The output light goes out after the temperature in the house rich the required temperature.

I just move the switch to ON position and have to manually turn it OFF.

I just move the switch to ON position and have to manually turn it OFF.
Is that not correct when you have manually turned it on?

From the instructions:
"There is a manual facility available at the receiver.
If the auto/manual (A/M) button is pressed the blue
learn/manual light will come on indicating the receiver is in manual mode. The receiver output can now
be turned on and off using the learn button."

Sponsored Links
I am really sorry I cannot answer this question better but we had the exact same thing in a flat we were in a couple of years ago. As we were tenants the landlord got a plumber in who tried changing the batteries and playing around with the newly installed boiler, he even got the Worcester guy out to look at it. In the end he just said move the thermostat closer to the boiler which did nothing to solve the problem. Not satisfied with this I read the manual and on the internet and found eventually it was to do with the RCD channel or something along those lines. Basically it was communicating on the wrong channel so the thermostat was calling for heat but the boiler didn't recieve it's call. So long story short have you looked into the channel settings. I remember it being something to do with "RCD" but i don't actually remember what that was.

Hope that might be of some use, who knows.

IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG

I shouldn't have to turn it on, it should come on automatically depending on temperature.

This is what I've got. As it can be seen the thermostat sent demand for heat. There's this red output light but the blu which is AM do I turn it on?
I am all confused Ive tried all options but can't get it to work. Would you be able to guide me through in terms of the light pls

I would first suggest switching the mains to the boiler/receiver off and on again.

After that doesn't work I would suspect the wire between the receiver (NO) and boiler has a bad connection.

I've turned the boiler on and off also I've reset it couple of times, still no luck.

Do you reckon plumber/gas engineer could look into the wires or it's electricians job? In case I won't be able to get it to work.

Surely if the manual switch works then the receiver to boiler wiring must be alright.

You should contact the plumber and, at least, ask him about it.

I'm still not sure - does the output light show when the thermostat is calling for heat?

If the pictures are showing this then something is wrong with the receiver or you still have it in manual mode.

Actually it seems rather bizzare. The receiver can turn the boiler on manually, but when it is switched to automatic and is turning the boiler on, it doesn't work. It should be the same circuit element inside the receiver which is turning on the boiler in both cases. I'm assuming the red light comes on in both cases?

Edit: Sorry, bit slow there.

That's what I am thinking the wiring should be ok.
I've contacted the plumber but he doesn't think this is anything to do with what he've done to the boiler even though it stopped working after his works. He's not being helpful will try to get him tomorrow again.

The output light (red one ) goes on when it's calling for heat and goes off when it's stopped calling. I'm pretty sure that the case.
But the A/M blue light never goes on or off unless I turn it on manually.

Possibly is have got receiver on manual mode but how do I change it over to automatic so it come on automatically?

I'm not sure.

It says if the blue light is not on then it's not in manual mode.

Can only suspect the receiver is not turning on automatically but the manual switch still does.

The blue light should be on in manual mode (according to the instructions).
So you are saying that in automatic mode the red light comes on when calling for heat, but boiler stays off.
And in manual mode the red light comes on when you ask it to, and the boiler comes on.

Sorry the receiver is not turning the boiler on manually, when I say manually I mean I turn the boiler on cause the receiver doesn't turn the boiler since the pluming job. So I have to phisicly turn it ON and OFF when I don't want heat. Hope I'm explains myself ok here?
And the red light only comes on when I put the temperature up for heat demand (that's why assume the receiver and thermostat are working in perfect order) via thermostat. But when I turn the heating ON manually the receiver doesn't react at all.
So maybe the receiver is on the manual mode??? Hope this make sense? ☺

In the manual mode with the blue light on, then pressing the learn button is supposed to turn the boiler on and off manually.
If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the NO connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back