Thermostat replacement (from 4 wires to 2 wires). (pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a new digital thermostat (Salus RT500) to replace my old Honeywell analog one.

The old thermostat has 4 wires but the new one has only two. Do you know if I have bought the wrong thermostat? How do you actually make the connections from 4 wires to the 2 pins?

I have uploaded two pictures detailing the two thermostat plates.

View media item 43105 View media item 43107
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much Dan_Robinson but how do you make a wire safe? Sorry for my ignorance.

You need to discard earth and neutral,make them safe and connect common and calling into the two connections on your new backplate,it doesn't matter which way round

Sponsored Links
Earth green/yellow,Grey neutral, red common and black calling,so just connect up red and black.

Ok, thank you guys for your prompt reply. I just need to find out how to make the wire safe. Should I used just duct tape an leaving it unconnected?

Excellent. You said the earth connection does not need to be connected. They said the same in the manual although the also say that it is ok if you do. Is this ok? what are the implications of connecting it?

Because the new thermostat is made of plastic it doesn't need to be earthed but the connection is there for joining earths,it won't do anything connected or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back