Thermostat to replace Potterton EP2002

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could tell me if there is any way I can easily replace a Potterton EP2002 central heating control with a remote control thermostat which I can put in the living room?

The Potterton control is wired into a Honeywell 42002116-001 box.

Thanks everyone.

Nick

Sponsored Links
The EP2002 is a dual channel programmer, normally used to control both hot water heating and space heating.

If you replace is with a programmable thermostat then you'll have nothing to control the on/off times for hot water, so whether this is suitable depends on the design of your system.

A solution that would work is to keep the EP2002 and simply replace your room thermostat with a wireless (and programmable) thermostat. You can set the CH on constant at the EP2002, and program the space heating on/off times at the wireless 'stat.

You're absolutely right, the EP2002 is a dual channel controller which controls both hot water and space heating.

What I need is a wireless controller that controls both the hot water and space heating, but I cannot seem to find anyone who sells one.

Does such a product exist?

Sponsored Links
Ah, becuase the controller is in a bedroom, which I rent out.

So at the moment I have to go into the bedroom to switch the hot water on when I want a shower, which annoys my housemate no end.

I don't really want to go to all the hassle of extending the wire for the controller all the way out of the bedroom and thought a wireless solution may be cheaper.

Is there a better way maybe?

Where is the wiring centre? What's on the other side of the wall from the existing site of the programmer?

The controller is wired into a Honeywell controll box, which goes into the various hot water tank valves.

The whole assembly is in the corner of the room away from any the inside wall.

It would be possible to run a wire from the Honeywell box, along the wall in the room, then finally through to the wall and into the hallway.

But I want to avoid that if possible by going wireless.

Apologies - I've been a bit dense.

I know that Worcester and Vaillant (and probably others) have such a product, but I don't know if they have a proprietary interface. I doubt it, in which case you ought to be able to find something that suits you.

That's great news!

How do I find out more about the Vaillant and Worcester controllers? Any idea about model numbers and suchlike?

Right apparently a Vaillant VR65 control centre and VTR360F wireless room thermostat will do it.

If I bought these items would they be easy to fit, or would I be better off getting an expert to fit them?

Question how much will all that cost you?

I may have an idea for you but it depends on what all the Vaillant gear will cost?

Does that do wirless hot water aswell?

Right apparently a Vaillant VR65 control centre and VTR360F wireless room thermostat will do it.
Quite right. They will. Except that it's a VRT360F. ;)

If I bought these items would they be easy to fit
I would expect that the VR65 will directly replace the EP2002, and the VTR360F you can put anywhere you like.

would I be better off getting an expert to fit them?
Just make a note of ALL connections at the EP2002 before you undo any of them.

And before you start work, isolate electrically and check for dead.

Another way to do it would be buy two cheap[er] wireless programmable room 'stats, and use one as the timer for hot water (with a very low setpoint). But with this you'd have two things to lose/break, and two sets of batteries to replace.

The VRT360F is about £105 and the VR65 is about £55.

Tolerable if I can fit them myself, but not if I have to pay someone another £150 to fit them!

I'll probably have a go and see what happens. Hopefully I won't destroy my boiler!

Tolerable if I can fit them myself, but not if I have to pay someone another £150 to fit them!
For that money I'd not only fit it but take you out for a slap up meal.

I'll probably have a go and see what happens. Hopefully I won't destroy my boiler!
Take it step by step, and make notes before you disconnect, and you won't have a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back