Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can anyone offer any help. I've just had a number of radiators fitted as part of a large extension. I've gone from 8 to 14. All the radiators in the house bar the bathrooms have therostatic valves. Obviously some brand new and the older ones, well, old. My old heating system was red hot. My new set up...not. everything starts well, all radiators get red hot and then after about an hour and half the new radiators switch off and those rooms subsequently cool. They will come back on after maybe another hour and then go off again. Meanwhile the old part is running at full tilt and is lovely and toasty. Other points to add. The plumber fit all single panel rads upstairs and down where the old system is all doubles. I wanted doubles but he said he'd done the calcs and it wasn't required. Also we have a wireless thermostat in the old part of the house. Say I set it to a temp it can't reach like 28. The old part runs constantly the new bit as I've said switches off and on and so only ever gets lukewarm. It's like it's hitting the trv limit but way before the room is a comfortable temp. Please please help. What can I say or do. The plumber is saying it's not a problem but the new rooms are cold.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you shouldn't have a TRV on the radiator(s) that are in the same room as your thermostat.

But anyway, not all TRVs are made equal and some are absolutely crap.

What TRVs do you have?

Try running the system with the TRV heads unscrewed and see how it performs. This will confirm if your TRV is closing prematurely or whether you have some kind of balancing issue.

Hi east61,
Thanks for your reply. It's very much appreciated. The trvs are a mistral 2. Are they a good reliable make?

Hi east61,
Thanks for your reply. It's very much appreciated. The trvs are a mistral 2. Are they a good reliable make?

No, they use wax. All wax TRVs are crap. They are very slow to react to temperature changes.

I'm still not ruling out a balancing issue, so let us know if you experience the same problems when taking the TRV heads off.

Sponsored Links
That's great information about the poor performance of the mistrals. I'll be trying the trvs heads off tomorrow after work. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back