Thermostatic valve in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Click for bigger

Hi people,
I'm probably not the first person to plow ahead and then be worried about the implications of what I have done.

This is a bathroom install, where I have put a concealed thermostatic valve for both the shower and bath into a wall.
The house is a bungalow.
The wall is between the bathroom and the kitchen.
The wall is made of concrete blocks.
I used an angle grinder to create the space for valve and pipework.
Most of the work is only 20mm deep.
It is deeper at the shower head and at the valve, no more than 50mm.
The wall is 100mm thick.
My feeling is that I haven't compromised the structural integrity of the wall, and was wondering if you agreed.
Perhaps I should have asked for planning permission?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've altered rather than compromised the walls integrity, but it most likely wont be a problem

Remember to put some mesh across to stop the plaster cracking

You don't need planning permission to put pipes in a wall

I am going to tile, with 10mm thick tiles.
I was going to just plaster over (most of) the pipework.
Is this ok for the pipework?

Thanks again.

Just remember to leave a bit of space around the pipe and youll be fine, as it heats and cools it will expand and contract and could crack plaster if directly in contact with it
Marty

Sponsored Links
Just a couple of observations on the pipework

1) Ideally the pipework should not have any buried joints and should be sleeved.

2) You need to protect the pipes from the plaster and the surrounding exposed brickwork - plaster can corrode and the brickwork can damage them. At the minimum wrap them in tape before you bury them.

3) You should have a few pipe clips given the length of the pipework.

Just a quick question - are the hot and cold supplies at the same pressure (it looks as if you have a 15mm teed to 22mm supply to on side of the mixer)

If they are both at the same pressure then no problem - if they are different pressures then is the mixer capable of dealing with the difference (most mixers need balanced supplies)

Thanks newboy.
There is one joint between the shower head and the left side of the valve.
I will look into some sort of sleeving and clips.

The hot and cold feeds are at the top and bottom of the valve.
Both feeds are 22mm.
The shower head is converted to 15mm.
The tees that you might be seeing (underneath the bath) are hot and cold tees that goes around the bath and into the next room on the right (On suite toilet and sink).
The boiler is being change (by a profesional) to combi, so the pressure will be balanced.
I wont be doing any plastering / tiling until the pipes are under the new pressure.
Cheers.

Have you considered boarding over the lot with aquapanel or similar screwed into the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back