Block Shed Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster, so go easy. :)

I'm just about to start building a single skin block shed approx. 3.7m x 2.5m. I'm comfortable with laying blocks as I have done various small projects in the past, but this is the biggest "building" that I have built.

My question is would it be advisable to build a double block pilaster into each of the longer walls for added strength, or is this not needed for a structure of this size? the walls will be tied together by the roof struts which should add stability, but as I want to ensure it lasts, I wanted to seek some advice before I plow ahead with building the walls.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Sponsored Links
Borderline but I would add a pier to the middle of the longer wall and at the door openings.

Hi Jeds,

Thanks.
When you say borderline, what's the recommendations here?
Also what's the reason for around the door opening? presumably just for additional strength, because the door is a weak point in that wall? There won't be a lot of weight from the roof. Would the roof weight be the reason for the pier at the door opening?

As I plan to use the long back wall for a long workbench and a run of cupboards, my preference would be to keep it flat if possible, but obviously structural strength is the most important factor.

Again thanks for your advice and sorry for the further questions. I just want to ensure that I cover all bases and get the best possible shed I can, both in build strength and aesthetics.

Thanks,
G.

If its a flat roof, with dense blocks, I'd leave the pier out on the long sides.

But if you are nervous, then bed some expanded metal into the bed joints of every other course on the long sides.

Get 2x 10m rolls, cut them into 2.5 lengths, and bed these centrally on the long sides - ie no need to use it the full lenth of the wall.

A pier is always advisible each side of a door. 100 x 225 will be enough, but its often easier to just lay a full block, so no need for cutting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody,

It is dense blocks, but the roof will be a pitched roof, but using fairly light weight bitumen sheeting.

I've found a document online, that advises a Pier be added every 3m. Though I'm fairly confident that the wall will be fine without it, I think I'll go for structural strength and add one in anyway, in order to ensure I don't regret not adding it later. in order to give me a bit of a run of flat wall, I don't think I'll add the pier exactly in the middle, probably more like 2.5m into the 3.6m run. This should be ok, shouldn't it?

I am going to add a pier at the one side of the door. the other side will be 1 block length (approx. 440mm) from a corner, so no pier needed there. I'm planning to put approx. 6.5 / 12 pitch on the roof does anyone know if this sounds ok, or if anything else is advised?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the project progresses.

Thanks,
G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back