thermostatic valve question??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm an English plumber and I work in France. I have noticed that in the UK thermostatic valves are placed at the bottom of radiators in a vertical postion. In France that is considered to be bad workmanship and they are placed horizontally at the top of the radiators!!

Placing a thermostatic valve vertically, apparently, is not as efficient as one placed horizontally - or so they say!!!

So my question is: :?:

in the UK are the thermostatic valved 'designed' to be vertical or is there no real difference??

And why put the valve at bottom of the radiator???

Hope it makes sense!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most bidirectional TRVs can be mounted either horiz or vert on either bottom inlet or outlet.

bidirectional?? So they are designed to be placed either horiz or vert?? What are the advantages of putting them at the bottom of the radiator??

bidirectional refers to flow through them. Not all are bidirectional but some of these can be placed vert on flow or horiz on return depending on tail type.

Sponsored Links
I find that the instructions are useful.. :LOL: :LOL: Manufactures will have tested or designed for an application. Yes they may well work, but there are always prefered methods.

I think the reason that we do not put the trv's at the tops of our radiators in the Uk is that 99.9% of rads that we buy (are sold) are made to be valved at the bottom and bled at the top................... :LOL: :?: :LOL:

I noticed just this morning the French configuration you are used to in Royal Mail Collection Office, Burdett Road, London, must have had a french Plumber....... :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

well it wouldn`t have been BG.they couldn`t fit anything French :rolleyes: TBOE tappings is usual on old one pipe commercial stuff like PO`s :rolleyes:

Thanks guys - some really interesting replies.

I'm presuming that in the UK most of your radiators have a pipe on the inside taking the flow from the base to the top of the radiator (but correct me if I'm wrong), and that your Thermostatic valves are designed to be multi-postionable, which I think is great. Here in France There is no supplier that I know that has heard of these. As I say, I think its a great idea, especially on slim radiators where thermostatic valves really stick out horizontally - not only does it look better but you dont run the risk of bruising your hips when walking past them!!! :eek: @$#%!!!!! :mad: :LOL:

a pipe on the inside taking the flow from the base to the top of the radiator (but correct me if I'm wrong),
You're wrong! They rely on convection to do that.

I forget the figure, but rads with BOE connections are 5 (or 10)% less efficient.

Some trv mfrs DO recommend TBOE conns and horizontal fixing - quicker trv response.

You're wrong! They rely on convection to do that.

I forget the figure, but rads with BOE connections are 5 (or 10)% less efficient.

Some trv mfrs DO recommend TBOE conns and horizontal fixing - quicker trv response.

Right, hang on lolol - as I said I am an english plumber but I learnt this job in france and therefore don't understand some of the abbrieviations!! mfrs, tboe, trv - would someone be kind enough to help me out... lol :confused:

As has been said TBOE is more efficient, but not such a good idea with copper as its is not really strong enough to take the knocks.

Still do TBOE in steel and this is very usefull in old persons homes where they have trouble reaching the valve when BOE

Nige F said:
BG .British Gas TBOE Top/Bottom/Opposit Ends ;)

Thanks Nige F - clears things up somewhat!! :)

But I've got another question here.....

ChrisR said:
rads with BOE connections are 5 (or 10)% less efficient

5 - 10% probably doesn't sound much, but I personally think its quite a lot, especially in this day and age where we are supposed to be saving as much energy as possible... :?: :!:

And, (while, I'm at it!!!)....

doitall said:
TBOE is more efficient, but not such a good idea with copper as its is not really strong enough to take the knocks

In public places, such as schools, hospitals etc French building regulations say it is compulsary to install black steel.
But, in private homes, if you run the pipe behind the radiator, and bend it at an angle to enter the TRV in a TBOE connection, (which is common practice here in France) surely the copper pipe is protected from knocks by the radiator itself??

ChrisR wrote:
rads with BOE connections are 5 (or 10)% less efficient

5 - 10% probably doesn't sound much, but I personally think its quite a lot, especially in this day and age where we are supposed to be saving as much energy as possible...

Not inefficiency on terms of heat loss - it ain't going anywhere but into your room, but in terms of getting the heat out fo the radiator. In other words you need a sllightly bigger one.

my radiator constantly is heating and never turns off the house is extremely hot. I just installed a thermostatic radiator valve(there suppose to control the temp.) sad enough that didn't work. its still giving off a lot of heat....any suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back