thermostatic valve s connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i wonder if you can help me. Im trying to install a thermostatic bath and shower mixer in my bathroom. The mixer is the type that has to be supported by the pipework. I have screwed 2 wall 90 degree brass elbows to marine ply and they are centred at 150mm. The mixer valve has 2 s connectors which are slightly off set. One side im screwing with ptfe tape into the elbow and the other side screws into the unions of the mixer. The problem i am having is that the s connector that screws into the wall elbow has a slight weep on both joints. i have tried a few times with lots of ptfe tape but it still weeps. Any ideas? Are the s connectors designed to screw into these elbows? Do you have to use a washer? Can u use some other jointing compound? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have they been overtightened and split the backplate elbow?

James

Can u use some other jointing compound? Many thanks.

This is one situation when I use loctite55. The S connectors are obviously to allow adjustment of the centres if the back plate elbows are not spot on 150mm centre to centre and also allow perfect levelling. Loctite55 does allow you to unscrew a little without the risk of a leak that is more likely with PTFE. The recommended turns of the thread are written on the dispenser which is handy. Also you need to watch the video of how it is used because it is not like you might think of winding it into the threads of the parts but across the threads.

So if you have not overdone it with PTFE tape you might want to give it a try.

Thanks for the response guys and I have got it sorted. The s connector is a very loose fit when it screws into the elbow. I wasnt too convinced that the fitting was screwing all the way into the fitting. It may have been a mil or 2 short. I took a hard washer off a tap connector and sat it flush in the elbow and used a shed load of ptfe. flushed the pipes then connected the mixer and have run hot and cold through it. It has now been stood for for well over an hour and no drips. I didnt know about your method of putting on ptfe...I bet that was where I was going wrong and the fact that the fitting screws in a tad on the loose side. Do you do this with all threaded fittings? What website is the video on. Many thanks for the advice it is extremely helpful:)

Sponsored Links
Just watched the video on loctite 55. Thanks. deffo looks like the stuff required for this type of application!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back