Thermostatic Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you tell me if these TRV tops can be changed for any modern version ... are they a universal fitting or is it that the valves need changing as well
Thank you for your help
Ray

Attachments

• THermo.jpg
    THermo.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
They should be interchangeable with most. Whether you need to change the valve depends on whether the pin is sticking or not

Thank you … just thinking of changing them from a cosmetic point of view, half the radiators have had new valves fitted.
Ray

I have most which are M30 x 1.5 mm which I have fitted eQ-3 heads on them so programmed for times of day in use, but I have 4 odd ones which seem to be a larger thread. They are designed to adjust for different pin travel and have a fault display if there is a problem.
1675761903351.png

But with non electronic the pin travel needs to be correct, mine cost £15 each in 2019, pre-brexit, I had to buy on internet, and got the bluetooth version. 61dmtMm13BL.jpg There is also the Terrier i30 which is non linked, but most of the electronic versions are more expensive, and link to a hub or wall thermostat to tell boiler to fire up when required.

Batteries last around 2 years, I change every year to be on the safe side. I also use these IMGP8035.jpg also not electrical connected to boiler, but are internet connected, also they don't report if pin travel is OK, and you can't manually set them, yes they have geofencing, but the anti hysteresis software is OTT so don't really work very well with geofencing, and far more expensive, think I paid £75 for a pair, they had two screw threads, I used the M30 1.5mm and also needed a hub, so another £50 only advantage over the other one was they show both current and target temperatures so this TRV_report.jpg makes it easy to set lock shield valve. And I look at the temperature of the room in summer when out to decide if to turn on AC before I return. But all in all the cheap one is better. The cheap one even has window open detection, so when we unload food in the kitchen, it turns off heating in kitchen while we do it.

The two cheap ones come with adaptors terrier-i30.jpgseen here with Terrier i30. There were not so many options with more expensive version.

It seems the Drayton Wiser is the crem de crem at moment with algorithms to work out when to heat room so warm at time set, there is also the Honeywell EvoHome with a central display to adjust them EVO-home1.jpgbut these are as one would expect more expensive, the eQ-3 was nearly the same price as the mechanical so seemed no brainer, fit the electronic. But at £70 a head for some, not so sure worth the money.

Sponsored Links
Could you tell me if these TRV tops can be changed for any modern version ... are they a universal fitting or is it that the valves need changing as well
Thank you for your help
Ray
That’s a Honeywell TRV head and I think you will need to change to a more aesthetically pleasing Honeywell head or change the head and valve to another manufacturers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back