Theromstatic rad valve fitted in hallway in error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some rads fitted one was in the hall where my main house thermostat is. My plumber told me that he couldn't fit a thermostatic valve on the rad in the hall which I was fine with, however some mis-communication later and me not being there to keep an eye on the job he fitted a thermostatic valve on the hall rad :confused:

I understand why you are not supposed to have one on the rad in the room where you have the main thermostat, but will I get away with it if I just make sure I leave the thermostat on the hall rad at the max setting, I read on the web that would be ok ? At what temp do the theromstatic valves usually switch off on the max setting ? Also if I take off the screw on bit covering the pin does that effectively mean the rad is always set to be at max temp ?

I don't really want to go drain the whole system again as its already had to be done 3 times over the last couple of months to sort out a number of different problems.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Should be fine - in my experience a max setting rarely if ever shuts off a radiator

My plumber told me that he couldn't fit a thermostatic valve on the rad in the hall which I was fine with, however some mis-communication later and me not being there to keep an eye on the job he fitted a thermostatic valve on the hall rad
If he told you not to fit one in the hall why did he do so? Sounds as if it was fitted by an apprentice/junior when he wasn't looking.

will I get away with it if I just make sure I leave the thermostat on the hall rad at the max setting
Yes. Max setting is normally about 27C. Some TRVs can be locked at a setting so they can't be fiddled with.

Also if I take off the screw on bit covering the pin does that effectively mean the rad is always set to be at max temp ?
If the head is off, there is no "max temp", the radiator is permanently fully open.

I don't know why he fitted it in the end I have left him a message asking him why so should know soon, I think though it was a mistake and he thought I wanted it I just wasn't clear enough in saying 'no'.

Another thing he did was on one of the radiators he replaced the old one had a valve extension on from the pipe to the rad of about 20mm, this was because the pipe could only be located in one place due to a joist. He replaced the old rad with one of the new size but rather than using a extension as with the old rad he replaced the pip and put a swan neck in the pipe to close the gap, now though the rad is striaght it actually looks wonkey. Now the pipe is already bent could it be bent back striaght or would that significant weaken the pipe ? Again I don't want to drain system but fine with draining rad so a extension can be put in.

I must add he replaced 6 rads in total and only its only 1 I have issues on.

Sponsored Links
once the pipe has been bent it cant be straightened, so you need to decide if it bothers you that much to get the system drained and an extention fitted,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back