Thick Wall - Drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Your advice please: I need to create a number of holes for cables through some pretty substantial bits of building as follows:

1) ~1m horizontally through solid stone
2) ~1m horizontally through brick (possible loose infill)
3) ~1m vertically though a brick arch

Each location will need a hole of ~50mm to allow the cables to pass. An acceptable alternative would be 4 x 25mm hole.

Now, past experience in this building tells me that I can make a 25mm hole easily enough with a solid SDS bit and a little bit of patience.

Should I be even considering using a core drill? My fear is that towards the end of the hole at ~1m deep it'll be near impossible to break out the core.

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
At my last job I observed the AC installers with a very long TCT drill of around 2" diameter. I seem to recall it didn't take long to get through a couple of block walls.

I'd use sds max.
You can get their spiral bits up too 32mm diameter x 1200mm (working depth) long.

If it needed the 50mm I'd fab up an extension bar to fit a 50mm tungsten core cutter and finish with that.

Thats ok for through brick of course.
I've never seen stone walls drilled with tungsten, diamond or otherwise.
Usually a crowbar job or breaker with a finished hole big enough you can crawl through.
So its your call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back