thickness of plasterboard from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed all the old lime and horsehair plaster from most of my house, back to bare walls and was persuaded that dot and dab would be the best way of making good (although I was and still am not 100% convinced). Anyway, I removed all of the architraves from doorways expecting the boards to be put flush to the door linings so that I could then place the architraves back.

When I looked at what the plaster boarder had done I was surprised and am not sure if he is being honest with me. He has placed the board on top of the door lining and screwed it so that if the architrave is placed back on, there will be plasterboard forming part of the door lining - difficult for me to explain in words, hopefully image will be better.

He said that he had no other option as the distance between the brick and door lining was not big enough. I've measure the skirting and the gap would have been approx 25mm - he has used 12.5mm board.

Please can someone tell me if he is correct.[/img]

Sponsored Links
By the sound of it he has put the architrave on top of the plaster board!! He should have cut it level with the outside of the door casing and put a piece of dressed timber on the side of the casing level with the p/board and put the architrave on to the frame and then it would have rested on the p/board. This way you would only see the wood on the side of the frame not the edge of the p/board. Usually it would be a joiner or a good DIYer that would fit the wood!!!!!

If I’ve understood correctly, the distance between the bare brick/block wall & the edge of the door lining is around 25mm; unless the walls are really uneven, this should be more than enough to D&D 12.5mm boards & allow a 3mm plaster skim flush with the door lining; are you not getting it skimmed?

You can even drop to 9.5mm boards to give a bit more room if it’s tight but using thinner boards is not ideal. Don’t know why he’s not been able to accommodate it & those boards must have upwards of 25mm gap behind them; I always fit boards as tight to the wall as circumstances allow.

Not only is it going to look rather odd, an unprotected plasterboard edge over the door lining will be vulnerable & very easily damaged.

Thanks Richard, I was originally going to go with wet plaster as it's a 1920's house and I want to keep the solid feel but the boarder persuaded me that plasterboard was a better option because of the thermal qualities.

Do you know why he might have put the boards so far from the wall, does it save time/labour? i have measure the gap and in some places including the 12.5 board, they are 30mm from the wall.

I believe that he's not as professional as he said - to be honest, although I've only ever undertaken basic DIY tasks on I think I could have done a better job especially around the plugs - the holes he cut were 15mm too big and have been filled with board adhesive, the sockets are also sunk 10mm below the board. Some of the boards rest on the floorboards which I'm sure is not correct and where they meet the ceiling there are large wonky gaps - some filled with adhesive and some not. On the bay window wall he has attached the board to the lathe but only on the sides so the top and bottom are not screwed to anything, this means that the board has alot of movement.

I believe he's also not 'dabbed' enough. On a 2400x1200 board I can only detect a few dabs on the edges and 2-3 in the middle of the board. For 45 boards, he made me buy 15 bags of adhesive and has only used 7 and the job is almost complete.

Do you know how many bags of 25kg adhesive should be used for each 2400 x 1200 board?

The plan was to have the boards skimmed but I may revert back to my original plan, rip the lot down and have it all bonded (think that is the term) and plastered. A loss now may save me money in the long term I think.

My dad was a bricklayer and plasterer for 40 years, it makes me mad that people like the man I have paid to do my house give good, honest builders in general a bad name - wish my dad was still around!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roy,

Where the distance from wall to board edge has to be 25mm your way would be the way to go. But the brick walls were really very straight from top to bottom with no extruding bits. I prepared the walls myself, wire brushed them and pva'd them. They were in that good condition including the pointing that many people told me to leave them brick.

I just think I've been a victim of someone that calls himself a plaster boarder but hasn't got a clue..... thankfully not all builders are like him!

Can't really think what the "plasterer" was thinking of! No way should he have overboarded the door linings. Salvage what you can, but rip down the boards over the doors and either bond/skim or re-d&d boards correctly.

I was originally going to go with wet plaster as it's a 1920's house and I want to keep the solid feel but the boarder persuaded me that plasterboard was a better option because of the thermal qualities.

Unless upgrading the thermal efficiency of the external walls is a requirement under Building Regulations, no way is dot/dab/skimmed plaster board a better option over a traditional float & set plaster finish, particularly in an old house; but then I am a bit of a traditionalist. The large air gap he’s left behind the boards may help in the thermal stakes but the cavity must be sealed; in reality, the difference is going to be minimal unless proprietary insulation board is used & it won’t be of any benefit at all on internal walls!

Do you know why he might have put the boards so far from the wall, does it save time/labour? i have measure the gap and in some places including the 12.5 board, they are 30mm from the wall.

Typically, a dry lining cavity will vary between around 3 to 10mm but I like to fit boards as tight as the condition of the wall allows specifically to avoid the “hollow” sound. I’ve no idea why he would fit boards with such a huge gap behind; it’s not quicker & certainly more expensive in terms of materials.

I believe that he's not as professional as he said

From the rest of your post, it’s beginning to look as if you’re correct.

to be honest, although I've only ever undertaken basic DIY tasks on I think I could have done a better job especially around the plugs - the holes he cut were 15mm too big and have been filled with board adhesive, the sockets are also sunk 10mm below the board.
D&D boarding is not difficult if your methodical & think about what your doing; the skill comes in the plastering. There should not be large gaps around the sockets & they should not be below the back face of the board

Some of the boards rest on the floorboards which I'm sure is not correct and where they meet the ceiling there are large wonky gaps - some filled with adhesive and some not. On the bay window wall he has attached the board to the lathe but only on the sides so the top and bottom are not screwed to anything, this means that the board has alot of movement.

Leaving a small gap at the bottom of the boards is standard practice but it’s not critical on suspended timber floors. Some small gaps where they meet the cieling are almost inevitable but are easily filled as part of the prep/plastering process; there should not be large wonky gaps. The boards must be securely fixed & should definitely not move or they will inevitably fall down!

I believe he's also not 'dabbed' enough. On a 2400x1200 board I can only detect a few dabs on the edges and 2-3 in the middle of the board. For 45 boards, he made me buy 15 bags of adhesive and has only used 7 and the job is almost complete.
Do you know how many bags of 25kg adhesive should be used for each 2400 x 1200 board?
One 25kg bag of Drywall should be sufficient to fix between 2-4 boards but this obviously depending on the size of the adhesive “dabs”. The initial quantity he made you buy seems about right but he seems to have skimped on what he’s actually used & if there’s a 30mm cavity behind the boards I would have expected him to use more rather than less; what is he going to do with the rest? Some use strips of adhesive, some (including myself) use a close dot pattern but the important thing is there should be a minimum 20% of the board must in contact with the wall & the edges of the boards have additional dabs so they are fully supported; if the adhesive has been skimped, there is a risk the boards may fall off the wall!

The plan was to have the boards skimmed but I may revert back to my original plan, rip the lot down and have it all bonded (think that is the term) and plastered. A loss now may save me money in the long term I think.
All things considered I would take them down & start again & go for a proper float & set finish if you can; it will be more expensive but will outlast you & be worth it in the long run.

My dad was a bricklayer and plasterer for 40 years, it makes me mad that people like the man I have paid to do my house give good, honest builders in general a bad name - wish my dad was still around!
Unfortunately, an ever increasing problem & not just in the building trades but in all aspects of life. Best advice I can give is to get several quotes, use only recommended tradesmen & look at an example of their work if at all possible; if he’s genuine he won’t mind at all.

Can we assume you've paid up in full for this bodge job?
If not, i'd tell him to shove it.
Obviously Richard C is the real mccoy here, but from a DIYers point of view, i've just D&D'd 10 boards of 2400x1200x12.5 in my new extension. If anything i'm quite liberal with the adhesive to ensure i get good contact and they stay on the wall. I used 2 bags of 25kg adhesive.
And as Richard said, i get mine as close to the wall as conditions allow. I can't even imagine 30mm away from the bricks, that sounds crazy!
If he has used the adhesive sparingly then you may well be able to bend the board inwards towards the bricks, and at 30mm gap you'll have some fun putting rawplugs in, as you'll have to gauge wich type you use; cavity plugs or wall plugs, if you see what i mean?

Hope it all works out for you.

Paid for materials and now have 30 boards and 10 bags of adhesive in garage with no use for them, also paid him on Friday for 4 days work - fortunately I called him yesterday and told him we didn't want plasterboard anymore so he should not continue and should pick up his tools - he tried to tell me that as he had not had time to book more work for today we should pay him a days money. :confused: At that point I run through the list of basic errors he had made and as he "has 20 years experience" according to him he should know that these errors would cost me money to rectify....

Thanks for the information and advice everyone, but looks like I'm back to square 1, removing rubbish off the walls.... got to laugh or go mad....

PS - Any advice on removing 30mm clumps of plasterboard adhesive from walls, I'm only small and not very strong :confused:

Oh yes, my old faithfuls Mr Hammer and Mrs Bolster - I thought I had seen the last of these for a while...

Might board out my shed and garage with the left over materials just so I can prove to my 'professional' boarder that I can do a better job than him.... that is unless there is someone out there near the Luton area that needs 25 boards (12.5 x 2400 x 1200) and 12 bags of Gypsom Adhesive for less than B&Q, Wicks or even ebay ;)

Paid for materials and now have 30 boards and 10 bags of adhesive in garage with no use for them, also paid him on Friday for 4 days work - fortunately I called him yesterday and told him we didn't want plasterboard anymore so he should not continue and should pick up his tools - he tried to tell me that as he had not had time to book more work for today we should pay him a days money. :confused: At that point I run through the list of basic errors he had made and as he "has 20 years experience" according to him he should know that these errors would cost me money to rectify....:confused:

I'd ask him for a refund for inadequate quality of work and threaten him with legal action. He no doubt will have come across that situation by the sound of it over the course of his 20 years experience.

I'd ask him for a refund for inadequate quality of work and threaten him with legal action. He no doubt will have come across that situation by the sound of it over the course of his 20 years experience.

Sadly, he'll probably know how to duck and dive those missiles as well. :confused:
Still, its worth giving him the chance to put it right. I believe that is the correct legal procedure before suing his a$$!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back