"Thing" from inside bath/shower mixer tap diverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old (1970s?) bath mixer tap/shower diverter. When you press the button on the mixer, the water comes out of the shower spray and stays in that mode until you turn off the taps, then it defaults back to the tap outlet.

Inside the workings of the diverter (i.e. underneath the round button and unscrew its housing) there is a white plastic mushroom thing which has a peripheral black rubber washer or O ring. It is this which controls the water pressure (when you press the button) which holds the valve in the 'shower' position against its return spring, until you turn the taps off, at which point it reseats itself in 'tap' mode.

Problem is, the washer bit has perished and the shower doesn't work because you can't generate enough pressure to hold the mushroom thing against its return spring. It doesn't seem possible to change only the washer because it appears to be moulded in with the white plastic mushroom thing. In any case, I've no idea what the original washer might have looked like.

2 questions arise:
Q1) Does anyone actually understand what I'm talking about?
Q2a) What is the correct name for the plastic mushroom thing in order that I can make some informed enquiries?
Q2b) Better still, where can I get a replacement mushroom/washer thing?

(The tap heads have swan logos in red and blue, if that helps identify the make).

Sponsored Links
without seeing it , your best is going to a plumbers merchant(not the Diy sheds ) with the jumper/ white plastic mushroom thing
an asking if they have a replacement if not , its a new bath/shower mixer...

[code:1]Q1) Does anyone actually understand what I'm talking about? [/code:1]
Do we ever!
Q2a) What is the correct name for the plastic mushroom thing in order that I can make some informed enquiries?
Ah. That'll be the "Plastic Mushroom Thing". Sometimes nerds call them diverters, but that's the whole tap, so...

Q2b) Better still, where can I get a replacement mushroom/washer thing?
WEll you never know, maybe http://www.lunns.net/tapspares/divertors.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back