Things to do in case of intruder alarm goes off in our absen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed the intruder alarm (Visonic powermax+) in my house and let me tell you, the noise of the alarm really annoyed me. I'm really worrying about neighbours in case the alarm goes off though I’ve already tried my best to get the reliable brand and install the PIRs where sunlight and wind does not bother the detectors BUT you never know. So here are the steps I’m gonna follow when I’ll be away:

- I'll leave the key-fob with my neighbours so that they can deactivate the alarm of course after checking when there's no intrusion

- I'll leave other key-fob and the house keys with my friend who lives on 20 mins drive

- I'll set the alarm to dial my friend (key holder), my neighbour and my self (abroad) so that they all can contact each other to rectify the problem

- I'll also leave the contact details of my friend (key holder) with my neighbours and vice versa

Just wanted to check if its the right approach, have I missed anything?

Many Thanks
Faraz

Sponsored Links
Apart from what you have said and the addition by the other member, nothing else.

You have chosen a reliable system, fitted correctly has no issues. Have many hundred out there myself.

May I add, it is refreshing someone actually takes on board the advice given as you have no doubtably have had.
I wish your absences alarm free and the more than adequate provisions never needed.

Alarm

Ensure the key holders do not have labels on the fobs that in any way identify your house. If the fobs are lost or stolen then who ever gets hold of them can if they so choose break into your house and defeat the alarm.

Sponsored Links
Inform your local council of your keyholders. If the alarm goes off and is reported as a nuisance they have the right to break in to stop it.

Inform your local council of your keyholders. If the alarm goes off and is reported as a nuisance they have the right to break in to stop it.
Are you sure the council can break in ? My understanding is they have to ask the police to force entry. And that is of course of no value to stopping the nuiscance as the siren cannot be cancelled without the fob or PIN. The most sensible action by the council would be to arrange for the siren to be removed from the wall or otherwise dis-abled.

They can contact a local alarm company and have right of access to get him in to silence the system. If the alarm has an internal sounder and it keeps going off then they would apply for an entry warrant.

Speaking now as a key holder for two premises and nominated person for a third. How can an alarm engineer silence the alarm if the default codes have been changed or a fob or other physical entity is required to silence the alarm.

open the box and disconnect the internal sounder and sab power supply.

For heaven's sake children.

Councils / police have for years & years had alarms silenced by the alarm company.

Always with an official from the authority asking for the work to be done in attendance.

Usually a locksmith gains access then the alarm company will do the business.

Ladders off etc etc, get the idea?

1st the o/s sounder, for the neighbour's benefit, then the internals.

I've done it many, many times over the years

They can contact a local alarm company and have right of access to get him in to silence the system. If the alarm has an internal sounder and it keeps going off then they would apply for an entry warrant.

Wasn't it the scanny 9800 that could allow the internal speaker to either follow the bell or be on until reset? What would happen in this case, as the alarm isn't sounding outside, but you can probably hear it. Would they be able to break in and silence it?

Wasn't it the scanny 9800 that could allow the internal speaker to either follow the bell or be on until reset? What would happen in this case, as the alarm isn't sounding outside, but you can probably hear it. Would they be able to break in and silence it?
Simple answer, YES.

If the noise is causing a long term nuisance to neighbours and the owner can not be contacted, or there are no key holders available then of course they can. Householder gets all the bills by the way.

Done that as well.

Local authority as mentioned do this when needed.

Locksmith and Alarm Engineer ( handy when both:D). Court Bailiff and Noise abatement officer and of course the Police.

MOE is done with as little damage and noise as possible :p
Panel is shut down as well as the sounders.
Notice left and property resealed, Bills to follow. Not cheap, and the system still needs to be rebuilt. And checked out before its allowed to be re-commissioned.

Generally older stuff, with duff batts are the cause. Neighbours with the wrong codes another.

Hence the needs for keyholders and serviced systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back