Think I broke the boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for a bit of help please, out of my depth on this.
We just had a patio window put in so I moved the rad today from its position to the wall on the left.Its microbore, I just swung the pipes round and hung the rad.
Bled it, then got on doing something else.
My wife later noticed no hot water through the taps. I saw that there's no pressure on the guage. I went round and bled all the rads not much air in, there's one that nothing comes out, tried to repressurise but on turning the tap didn't hear the usual rushing sound.Pressure not coming up.
Worried that the boiler was on while it was not pressured up.
Don't know what else to try.
Also worried I may have kinked the pipe when twisting but I don't think so,it filled quick.
Its a Linea 28 boiler.
Cheers, Bryan.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes there’s another lever further back down the line. My two taps are only about 12” apart. Reason is, I think, is that if your mains were switched off and you accidentally opened up your boiler top-up lever, the water in the heating system containing corrosion inhibitor chemicals could be forced out of the pressurised heating system and into your now unpressurised mains system and you could end up drinking it. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong.

Sponsored Links
Had a look, but just the one.its got an auto air bleed on the boiler apparently.There are no fault codes showing.

Not even a valve like this:

normal_DB663ED6-7F68-4D2E-BF40-FE2B9E41DC9E.jpeg

No. I'm thinking by not shutting down the boiler,then taking a rad off, using boiler, repositioning rad, filling rad, using boiler without checking pressure may have buggered it.
Tried bleeding rads,all have water coming through except landing one,no air or water.

No. I'm thinking by not shutting down the boiler,then taking a rad off, using boiler, repositioning rad, filling rad, using boiler without checking pressure may have buggered it.
Tried bleeding rads,all have water coming through except landing one,no air or water.

Ah well, that’s the limit of my knowledge. Perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about may come on and give advice. Sorry.

Problem at the moment is no pressure in the boiler. Fix that first before worrying about anything else- if pressure was that critical then the boiler wouldn't fire at low or zero so v low odds you've knackered it. You (or someone else) haven't turned off any other supply taps while you've been doing stuff have you? (Check for yourself, don't believe what others tell you)

Landing one is the highest radiator right? So literally just a lack of pressure.
Could be your filling loop tap is broken, wouldn't be the first one the tap part has jammed and sheared off inside. Or could be blocked with lime scale or something
Photos of under the boiler would help including the pipework.

Some lineas have one tap some have two, locate the filling loop on the pipework at bottom of boiler, there will be a silver braided hose, on the left hand side of the hose check to see if there is a black plastic knob if there is open it, if there isnt dont worry, then at the right hand side of the hose you will see a black lever it will be at the 12 Oclock position , move this to the 6 Oclock position until the guage shows about 1.5 Bar then move the lever back to the 12 Oclock position

don’t the linea have a tap that has several positions. one for filling then one for letting cold mains through

don’t the linea have a tap that has several positions. one for filling then one for letting cold mains through

Yup, vertically up for normal HW operation, vertically down to fill the system, horizontal is off. Should be marked on the handle.

I'm thinking by not shutting down the boiler,then taking a rad off, using boiler, repositioning rad, filling rad, using boiler without checking pressure may have buggered it.
Exceptionally unlikely - with no pressure, the boiler won't operate as you have now discovered.
Even if the pressure fell while it was on, there would still be water inside - no pressure is not the same as no water.

Been through the manual, just says open the one lever
If it is the one lever type, then you should still get cold water out of the hot taps with the lever in the normal position (up). If not, then there is no water supply to the boiler and it will therefore be impossible to refill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back