Think my HEX is gone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to check thoughts of others before calling the heating engineer out. I’ve got a Greenstar 32CDI. For the last month or so the pressure has been dropping about 1 bar in 3 days. Have done all the checks on visible pipe work, can’t see any water on ceiling etc. also checked the expansion valve for drips.

It’s now started going down 1 bar in a day. I have now just had a good check of the external condensate pipe, and with the boiler not in use, it’s dripping about once every 5 seconds.

Is the only possible cause of this a cracked/pinholed HEX? Or could it be a blockage. I’m assuming with the pressure dropping as well it won’t be a blockage.

One other symptom is I hear gurgling under the boiler sometimes when it is running. Not always though.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you mean Hex, which we use as a short version of heat exchanger. Yep, does sound like it’s the culprit, perhaps give Worcester a call for a fixed price repair?

I think you mean Hex, which we use as a short version of heat exchanger. Yep, does sound like it’s the culprit, perhaps give Worcester a call for a fixed price repair?
Thanks, edited. That was my plan once I’ve all but confirmed it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
What you could do, is isolate the flow and return valves under the boiler and if it still behaves in the same way then I‘d say it’s confirmed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back