Thinking of a double height ceiling into the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have an unused cupboard in the middle of the back of the house (about 2.5m x 2m, used to house an old heater) that is now simply a dumping ground.

Above it in the loft, is where the water tank used to be, it's now just an empty space.

What I am considering is to get a local company to put a window in (about 50cm x 1m) letting light in to make it slightly more functional, and then push through the ceiling to make it double height(ish).

I don't know if this falls in to even being allowed, or if I need to inform regs and so on?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've been eyeing up a similar scheme for my landing, which is totally boxed in and lacks any natural light. My logic is that the attic is so low (chalet bungalow so only 1.2M at the apex, and 0 at the edge of the landing) I'd be able to make a PIR board tunnel relatively easily and then the cross sectional area would be enormous compared to a few sun tunnels, and I expect it'd work out cheaper too.

The heat loss is probably worse unless you get a fancy triple glazed velux. It's somewhere down the bottom of my list though, so I've not given it any real though.

Sponsored Links
I've been looking at building/fire regs and am going to double up on the fire plasterboard throughout the new room which should give me an hour of burn time if ever happens, now decoding on a light tube or window!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back