PD Outbuilding Eaves height sloping ground

11 Nov 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Just wondering if you could give me any pointers to do with a very large outbuilding my neighbours are erecting.

It is near as dam it 2m from our boundary (might be a little under in one location but i would not want to rely on that). The building is approx 10m long x 4m wide. The neighbours garden is raised approx 1m higher than our and the building at the lower end is including the slab it is built on about 3.2m to the eaves at the other end it is near as dam it 2.5m. we are looking at building by the time the roof is on approx 6m higher than the ground on our side.
Questions are

Is there any limit to the size of outbuildings under PD?
The principal of measuring from the highest point is surely flawed? If my neighbour were to lengthen the outbuilding by another 6m due to the slope at the other end the building overall height would be 10m plus!
The limit on overall height of 2.5m when within 2m of the boundary, i believe the act says ANY part of the building could this be taken to include foundation slab on which the wall sits?
Would a building b(lock walls) of this size need building regs?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
its 2.5m from the highest natural point on the ground it covers
if its greater than 30sqm then its not permitted as it excedes the allowed
it also must not have sleeping accomodation although the odd kip on a sofa is allowed
thanks big all

i had not seen the 30m2 limit is that in the town & planning act?

"building Regulations

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

This section provides you with general information to help you comply with the Building Regulations when constructing a new outbuilding within the boundaries of an existing property, such as:

garage or carport
summerhouse or shed

Building a new garage attached to an existing home would normally need building regulations approval.

Building a new attached carport (open on at least two sides) would not normally require building regulations approval if it is less than 30 square metres in floor area.

Building a detached garage of less than 30 square metres floor area would not normally need building regulations approval if:

the floor area of the detached garage is less than 15 square metres.
the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed from substantially non-combustible materials."
Sponsored Links
thanks again Big all

So they need building regs but the size it seems is unlimited for permitted development
well no to get permitted development it must be less than 30 sqm
it must be less than all the criteria excede any one its needs planning
well no to get permitted development it must be less than 30 sqm
it must be less than all the criteria excede any one its needs planning
Sorry big-all, with respect to planning you're incorrect there is no limit though its area must not exceed more than half the area of land around the "original house".

There is no limit on the size with regards to planning unless the property is In a National Park, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty or a World Heritage Site and then the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.

Or its within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

There are limits to 30m2 with respect to having to get Building Regulations approval.

hawknavi, you are right, it doesn't look like they need PP but do need Regs.
yes your right i do keep getting that point wrong about the 30sqm
usually after the 7th or eighth single malt ;)
thanks for correcting me [again ]thats what help us give a decent level off accuracy :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links