8m by 5m outbuilding under PD

Sorry to high jack but I'm planning to do something similar in the near future and it may be relevant here.
What is classed as the Eaves height (2.5m)?
Is it the bottom of the soffit (top of wall), Top of the fascia, Bottom of the end of the last tile or something else?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to high jack but I'm planning to do something similar in the near future and it may be relevant here.
What is classed as the Eaves height (2.5m)?
Is it the bottom of the soffit (top of wall), Top of the fascia, Bottom of the end of the last tile or something else?

to avoid planning eaves height is irrelivant its the total height you treat it as a box with the eaves assumed to be less than 2.5 in this instance the 2.5 is maximum building height within 2m off boundary there is no two tier allowance

It's the point where a line or surface projected upwards from the face of the wall would meet the plane of the roof. And, yes, it's really bad form to hijack a thread.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but as I said it could be relevant to the OP too.
With a flat roof the 2.5m rule is pretty obvious but with a duel pitch it could be a bit more of a grey area.
Say you allowed an inch directly above the fascia for the tile thickness but then fitted something like a double Roman tile that is 2-3" higher in the middle.

From Nakajo's post and from a bit of Googling the descriptions are ambiguous. Plane of the roof, The highest point along the lower edge of the sloping roof etc.
If you look at the planning portal picture https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...KDNAhVRGsAKHaLJDm4QMwguKAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

It seems to show the underside of the tile on a pitched roof and the underside of the fascia on a flat roof.
In which case surely both could be totally abused to gain quite alot more height?
I was hoping there would be a simple answer but as with most planning things it seems to be open to interpretation.

I've got a crack in my bathroom ceiling - what should I do??

Go ask the tenant upstairs to return the 3 tons of paving slabs to the council boys who were laying them at the end of the road? ;)

Last edited:
It seems to show the underside of the tile on a pitched roof and the underside of the fascia on a flat roof.
In which case surely both could be totally abused to gain quite alot more height?

It shows as the soffit in both, it just happens to be that the pitched roof example is a simplified box featuring no gutter. It can't really be "abused to gain quite alot more height", as there are overall height limits in any case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back