8m by 5m outbuilding under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to build an 8m by 5m outbuilding (gym / storage / games room etc) under PD but want to get a LDC in place even if others think it will only be a waste to help pay for the council's xmas party. For £72 odd its something that will give me peace of mind and when if and when it comes to selling the house, I dont need to prove to the daft lawyer or the buyers about PD rules.

Anyway, given the square area (40m2), that we are looking to build, I will need to site it a minimum of 2m away from the boundary line to ensure it complies with PD rules (if we are to have the total height of the dual pitched roof upto a max of 4m and 2.5m at the eaves) - also due to building regs we would need to be 2m away due to the size.

If the brick wall is positioned at say 2m away (I'd probably go to 2.2m to be safe), does that mean that the eaves @ a max of 2.5m in height and the sloping part of the roof would render the whole thing invalid because it is within 2m? Is it the wall or any part of the structure that needs to be 2m away?

I guess it is the latter. If so, how much further should I allow in the plans to move the wall sufficiently far away so that the roof flat bit (what's that called - eaves?) is outside of the 2m?

Finally, if I have a 45 degree pitch roof, how can I work out what max height by outbuilding is, assuming we go to 2.5m at the eaves?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, can you remind me about the 40m² limit? And a drawing, even a bad one, speaks volumes.

Last edited:
30+ needs planing
any part under 2m the whole building is within 2m for this exercise you treat it as a box so a maximum 2.5 to the highest part
45 degree will give you half the width in height

Last edited:
I remember consultation to that effect (20m² for gardens less than 100m², and 30m² in all cases) - but I can't recall its adoption.

Sponsored Links
Nothing on the planning portal about 30 or 40m2: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings Just the height restriction (4m max if 2m away from boundary, so you couldn't have a 45deg pitch) and 50% of the land. The fact that it specifically states the 50% rule makes we wonder about any other rule such as the one mentioned above as they would render the statement moot.

It will require full building regs at that size, though.

30+ needs planing
any part under 2m the whole building is within 2m for this exercise you treat it as a box so a maximum 2.5 to the highest part
45 degree will give you half the width in height

30m2 on its own will not require planning permission. I read about this on the planning portal and had it confirmed by the duty planning officer at the council, on the assumption that I do not build within 2m of any surrounding boundaries. And yes 2.5m is the max eaves height with 4m being the max height overall. I'm just wondering what to put down as the overall height, but I see some some LDC application people just mark on there max 4m overall and max 2.5m eaves.

I am aware that this will require building regs approval.

Thx.

I still don't understand the caveats. Unless your garden is 60m² (or there's some weird article 4 direction in place, or you live in a Scottish enclave of Hertfordshire), this whole discussion of a 30m² limit is pointless.

I still don't understand the caveats. Unless your garden is 60m² (or there's some weird article 4 direction in place, or you live in a Scottish enclave of Hertfordshire), this whole discussion of a 30m² limit is pointless.

Who is your question directed to?

The 30m² thing is nothing to do with Planning - it's a Building Control issue, as any detached building > 30m² needs B.Regs approval.
For it to be permitted development, the ground area needs to be <50% of the curtilage (you can include the area of any front garden in that as well) and there
are also the height restrictions.
The duty planning officer seems to have got it wrong?

Who is your question directed to?
It's a comment, not a question, but it's directed to you.

I'm lost on your comment though - I never mentioned anything about a 30m2 or 40m2 limit for planning. I simply said that 40m2 was going to be my proposed size of outbuilding.

You discussed area as though it was significant, and had a bearing on the distance to the boundary. It doesn't, as it's the height in that case that is significant, but it's more that he distance to boundary drives the height. If you want your building to be 2.5m high at the eaves then it must be set 2m away from the boundary. As it happens you cannot erect your building under PD as the following requirements cannot all coexist:

5m wide (your spec)
45 degree roof pitch (your spec)
2.5m eaves (your spec)
4m at roof apex (PD limit that is breached)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back