Max 2.5m height outbuilding within 2m of boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://interactive.planningportal....lanningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/8

If the eaves height of my proposed outbuilding is 2.5m, in order to create a flat roof with a slope to allow for water to drain down, would I be in a breach of PD rules if I made the back end slightly higher to allow for the slope? Is it better to keep the front end lower? if so, by what about, 2.4m?

This would be built within 2m of the boundary.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
https://interactive.planningportal....lanningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/8

If the eaves height of my proposed outbuilding is 2.5m, in order to create a flat roof with a slope to allow for water to drain down, would I be in a breach of PD rules if I made the back end slightly higher to allow for the slope? Is it better to keep the front end lower? if so, by what about, 2.4m?
You would be in breach of the rules, if any part of the structure is above 2.5m within 2m of neighbours boundary.

Yes you need to make the high end 2.5 and the low end lower. Make sure the slope is 1:40 or better. You can always pitch it both ways if you're worried about head room.

If the height at the back is 2.5m, what would that mean the height of the front would slope down to?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Depends how long (or wide) your shed is. Say it was 4 metres, at 1 in 40 you'd be down to 2.4m at the lower end

Just to double check, this max height of 2.5m (for flat roof) is irrespective of the size of the outbuilding (in my case 15m2) when I am within 2m of the boundary?

Yes 2.5m from natural ground level to the highest point. You can always build it in a hole though.
Even if it's a small shed up to a chicken shed covering half your garden.

Then the outside would be higher than the inside of the outbuilding.....

No that's backwards, the inside would be taller then the outside, but you'd step down into the building.
I'm assuming you're wanting to maximise inside ceiling height while remaining PD. That would be one way round it.

Understood. Wouldn't there be damp issues, esp if in clay soil areas, even if DPM etc is used?

You have the usual precautions about keeping soil below dpc and far enough from the walls, and if as a result you end up with a trench around the building you have to keep it clear of rubbish and soil.
Also flooding might be an issue, you don't want a moat!
You wouldn't do it unless you really had to, but it's not as bad as a basement. It's just an option for you

Depends on your neighbours - How long do you have before a summerhouse/shed can't be challenged - is it 4 years ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back