Thinking of taking out the livingroom breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As title says, been seriously concsidering taking out the chimney breast in the livingroom. We havea 1940s property and the livingroom is quite small, we would liketo turn the livingroom around and put a an immitation fire place on the other side of the room, or maybe not even bother!

We have all the plaster off at the moment, the dilemma is that all the upstairs has been re-plastered and decorated and we didnt plan on doing this at the time. So really working backwards here.

Id want to leave the stack in the bedroom above to avoid all the rework right now. So i dont know if we can even do it.

My thoughts were an rsj inset at floor beam level, so it cant be seen in the livingroom, and use the webs to put noggins in for the bit of missing support for the floor boards

Theres two walls the are load bearing so the span would be 4250mm..

Quite a few people have said not to bother putting anything in bit i wouldnt sleep at night so thats why i am here!

I have bricked up pillars and fitted a 5m 203x203 across the back of our house so i do have some exp, just not sure what angle to go at here with this one.

Pics attached.

Large chimney breast is the livingroom, The other is directlty above In a bedroom

Attachments

• 20220304_152725_copy_1489x837.jpg
    20220304_152725_copy_1489x837.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0528_copy_837x1493_1.jpg
    IMAG0528_copy_837x1493_1.jpg
    1,024 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back