thinning paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could any painters out ther tell me if they always thin u/c and gloss, eggshell etc. or do they just thin primers and sealers :)

Sponsored Links
I'll thin anything if it needs it..but I stress 'IF'

Some painters use thiners like some people put salt and pepper on their goofd..i.e. they do it without tasting it..somepainters automatically 'stick a drop in it'

Some paints need it more than others but you should only thin a paint to allow it to do its job and not purely to make it go a bit further.

Thinning lgoss is dodgy especially this time of year outside..thinners breaks down the oil in the paint thus causing it to loose its sheen.

Just started a big job today and i was looking threw the description of works stipulations during my lunch break. It just said exactly wat company the paint must come from etc. One of the stipulations was 'Under no circumstances must any of the paint be thined or watered down' - thats gonna make the mist coat difficult.

It also said 'all new tiber fixtures must be primed at joiners yard and any damage mad good upon delivery' that certainly would have made our lives easier.

diferrence between paper and reality

I rarely thin paint and I never thin gloss/ satin/ eggshell/ water based undercoat/ silk and many others.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys,the reason why i asked was i only ever thin primers or sealer coats and emulsions ,but i was working with a guy who insisted on thinninig everything including weathershield gloss and it got me wondering who was in the right . :D

best way to get your oil based paint a bit thinner and easier to apply is to keep it warm ,i never keep gloss in the van this time of year as it does thicken up, i've also been known to put it in the airing cupboard over night ;)

come on growler, its not a sin to thin.

a cap full in a kettle wont do no harm an it'll speed you up

good tip benno i'll try that out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back