Third coat of satin over 2 coats of gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve been repainting the woodwork on the outside of my house in oil based gloss but don’t like the look. I’ve done 2 coats of primer & 2 coats of gloss so far, can I finish with a coat of satin to take the sheen off?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Of course, you can have what finish you like. Just give it another rub down before the final coat.

Great, thanks for your reply.

Now I’m wondering if Bedec barn paint, which is water based, would work as the topcoat…

Sponsored Links
Some wonderful roofing contactors I've used for 20 years alerted me to Bedec barn paint. I'm a fan. For example, I used the black version on some new woodwork on the south-facing front of my house four years ago and it's as good as new. Also needs no primer and very little other prep. But IIRC only available in black, white or grey.

And in respect of the comment from DiyNutJob, Bedec barn paint (again IIRC) can go happily over almost anything. There are different finishes available and I've only used satin.

Just checked out the Bedec website, there’s a lot of colours and finishes to choose from! I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say about painting over oil based gloss.

Just checked out the Bedec website, there’s a lot of colours and finishes to choose from! I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say about painting over oil based gloss.
So there are; they've come a long way! Let us know how you get on please.

Priming over the oil paint will work. Some long life oil paints have very long cure times making them more difficult to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back