Third gear block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I bought a used Mazda2 1.3 with 43k miles on it a month ago (now 44.5k) which has recently developed a problem. When I try to upshift into 3rd gear it feels like its hitting something and trying to find a gap to shift into gear, eventually it will go in. There is no slippage or grinding it just feels like something is sometimes in the way. This problem usually occurs when the revs are above 3k. any ideas what this could be?

The gearbox oil has been changed about 600 miles ago.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What does the selection feel like when the engine is off......is it more positive?
Just trying to isolate clutch or synchro problems at the moment - you may have a gear linkage issue, especially if the gear lever feels a bit slack.
Also, whats first and fifth gear selection like?
John :)

What does the selection feel like when the engine is off......is it more positive?
Just trying to isolate clutch or synchro problems at the moment - you may have a gear linkage issue, especially if the gear lever feels a bit slack.
Also, whats first and fifth gear selection like?

Thanks for the quick reply :)

it feels fine when the engine is off.

upshift
1st - 2nd = fine
2nd - 3rd = as stated
3rd - 4th = great
4th - 5th = stiff to engage but feels smooth.

downshift
5th - 4th = great
4th -3rd = great
3rd to 2nd = great
2nd to 1st = speed permitting, feels similar to 3rd gear problem but if im basically stopped its fine :)

The problem might be with your clutch not completely disengaging which is what John was thinking. If this is the case its usually difficult to engage reverse unless yours has synchro. Do you have to push the pedal right to the floor to disengage, if you put the car in gear with the handbrake off does it tend to creep?

Peter

Sponsored Links
The problem might be with your clutch not completely disengaging which is what John was thinking. If this is the case its usually difficult to engage reverse unless yours has synchro. Do you have to push the pedal right to the floor to disengage, if you put the car in gear with the handbrake off does it tend to creep?

Peter

Thanks for the reply :) reverse is extremely stiff to engage, I have to force it in.

When I put it into gear with the clutch pushed in the revs suddenly drop, it doesn't stall or move forward but the revs drop about 100 give or take.

If the clutch isn't fully disengaging is it or will it cause a serious problem?

I've heard a good way to test it is to put the car on Jacks and rev the engine in neutral, if the wheels spin it's the clutch. Is this true?

On the face of it, this does seem to be a clutch problem......the clue being that selection is fine when the engine is off.
So - how does the clutch pedal feel? If it seems to have little effect at the top of its travel but seems fairly stiff at the bottom, then the clutch is showing its age.
When engaging reverse, if the gears crunch (pedal fully down, and not restricted by the carpet) then the clutch is all it can be.
How old is the car?

On the face of it, this does seem to be a clutch problem......the clue being that selection is fine when the engine is off.
So - how does the clutch pedal feel? If it seems to have little effect at the top of its travel but seems fairly stiff at the bottom, then the clutch is showing its age.
When engaging reverse, if the gears crunch (pedal fully down, and not restricted by the carpet) then the clutch is all it can be.
How old is the car?

The car is 6 years old :) the gears have only ground once when in reverse which was probably my fault but in terms of the clutch it does feel stiff at the bottom. When engaging reverse sometimes I have to declutch several times so going on your advice it does sound like this could be the case

If it is the clutch will it cause any problems to the engine / gearbox if I leave it for a few weeks? Can't really affford a new clutch at the moment

It will cause wear in the gearbox to the synchro systems, I can only suggest treating it as gently as you can until you can get it fixed.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back