Third winter in a row

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This beggars believe. Third winter in a row where snow has been predicted days in advance, but no sign of any gritting where I am.
Do councils not employ anyone with working braincells?
:evil:

Sponsored Links
Over the weekend there was around 10" of snow fell here and only the mways and main trunk roads were gritted. This is paid for by government not the councils.
Monday morning total carnage.
Guy who live 3 doors from me drives a gritter and spoke to him early Monday morning. Said council refused to pay overtime so no one was out and none were out on the Monday morning as the drivers couldn't get to work. Around 10 oclock a snowplough came round for him. Last night no gritters again.
Same carnage today, another 6-8" fell yesterday and last night and it is back on now.
It's a joke.

Government cutbacks I'm afraid. Bus and main routes only gritted. Schools closed, offices closed.
Different when I was young. Had to walk to school, boiler at school never broke down. Didn't matter how deep the snow was, the teachers always made it in. Nowadays, as soon as the first snowflake falls, the country grinds to a shuddering halt. The education establishments put the shutters up, the rail network probably has the wrong type of snow, or the wrong sort of coldness. FFS we're all turning into right woosies. ;) ;) ;)

It's not government cutbacks, it's county councils terrified of being caught with their pants down like last winter. They are hoarding the grit.

Sponsored Links
Different when I was young. Had to walk to school, boiler at school never broke down. Didn't matter how deep the snow was, the teachers always made it in. Nowadays, as soon as the first snowflake falls, the country grinds to a shuddering halt. The education establishments put the shutters up, the rail network probably has the wrong type of snow, or the wrong sort of coldness. FFS we're all turning into right woosies. ;) ;) ;)

I agree so much with this as will anyone over about 45.

What kind of road do you live on? Sadly councils don't have one snoughplough and one gretter for each road. They have to drive around, using a 'priority' system. Some roads get done, some don't.

What does 'carnage' mean? A few bumps and scratches? Anything worse and clearly the drivers involved were driving irresponsibly.

It's like people who sue the council (using up their limited resources on legal expenses) over a loose paving slab. Everyone expects everything to be perfect. All the time.

Years ago, during one particularly cold spell, I lived on a street that turned into a skating rink (quite literally) There were at least 5 or 6 incidents every day. Phone calls to the council form residents, cut no ice (s'cuse the pun) with the council. However after a few days, a council tenant officer came down the road in her car, lost control and ended up in someone's front garden (having knocked down a 3ft high brick wall to get there) Her car was a write off , even though she had only been doing probably 10mph.
Within the hour, there were two gritters round spreading mountains of salt and grit everywhere.
Hmmm call me cynical, but had she not had this accident, the road would not have been gritted.

I don't expect snowploughs and gritters around every road and estate and i know they have to use a priority system but at least keep the main roads clear and keep on top of it.
The carnage is the amount of abandoned cars, accidents, road closures etc. All public transport is off, every school is closed.
It takes hours to travel a few miles.
This is mainly due to the drivers. It is like most people haven't a clue how to drive in the snow. Idiots driving at 5mph and wonder why they get stuck on the first bit of a hill. Before you know it there is a 2 mile tailback and no one is moving anywhere.
It is not as if snow is a new thing. It happens every year.
Other parts of the world have much worse snow than we do and cope yet the full country seems to grind to a halt with the first snowfall.

Still snowing here and minus 20 forecast for tonight. Tomorrow will be fun and games, again.

We have had snow pretty much all day here. Ive not even attempted to get the van out as our 4x4 struggled.

A gritter went down the main road a couple of hours ago with a plough on the front but it wasnt using it, just spreading grit. :confused:

I keep wondering if I should get my 4x4 taxed and insured so I can go anywhere in the snow to fix boilers.

Of course last year the problem was not me keeping going but buses and other drivers blocking the roads.

I am comfortable with saving money on road clearing and peole walking for a change. The problem is that mothers like to drive their kids to school even if its only 1/2 mile away. I walked to school about 1.5 miles away every day and I dont see why kids cannot do that now.

Today is very annoying as I have had two planned visits cancelled at short notice so have time on my hands at busy time of year and three parts ordered were brought but the delivery driver from City Link ignored my note asking for them to be left with a neighbour. I suppose he did not speak English!

Tony

Oddly the 4x4s were strangely absent from the school car park last winter while Mrs RR's little Citroen with its skinny tyres somehow made it through the snow every morning......

I'm going to write to my son's school and suggest that all those yummy mummies who drive around in big Range Rovers might like to volunteer to drive all the kids to school - after all, why did they buy 4x4s if not for safety in snowy weather?

;)

Took me 1 1/2 hours to drive from my village to Ravenshead, approx 7 miles, and then the client cancelled as I was running late :evil: . I agree there are safe drivers and there are the arseholes that think 10-15 mph on an A Road is suitable this isn't safe cause they are still brake happy. Any sign of a headlight and they stomp on them brakes (Getting Angry Now) The main roads around Mansfield were gritted and were pretty clear, on a good note the memories these kids are going to have from this snow will be priceless.

Oh I've forgotten the point of this thread :oops:

It was just on the radio 5 minutes ago that the M8 has been closed due to snow.
Now this is the main arterial motorway in Scotland, the number 1 priority road. So why was it allowed to close at the same place it always closes. Harthill. It was hardly unexpected.

Tony i have a 4x4 but it doesn't do me much good as it is mainly installs i do. The merchants can't get my materials out. I don't mind throwing a boiler in the back but not a half dozen rads and a few bundles of pipe as well.

Even doing repairs it would be a 5hr (normally under an hour) round trip to pick up the parts.
It is not worth the effort unless it is for a regular customer.

What kind of road do you live on?

Half a mile from the A23, which is possibly the number 1 arterial road in south London. It was the only one that seemed gritted, but not a single trunk road coming off it had been done by 4pm on tuesday.

It's like people who sue the council (using up their limited resources on legal expenses) over a loose paving slab. Everyone expects everything to be perfect. All the time.[/quote]

I don't expect things to be perfect at any time, but I do expect that if snow and frost are predicted a week in advance and the roads start to get tricky by Sunday afternoon, that by Monday noon, all trunk roads are accessible. Certainly by Tuesday.
I am going to invoice the council for loss of income due to negligence, see what they say.

..Hmmm call me cynical, but had she not had this accident, the road would not have been gritted.
That's not cynical, it's the sad truth. Civics are good for nothing and only interested in keeping each others jobs going.
They are ever so quick in helping another member of the club, but the people who pay their salaries are of no interest to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back