This enviroment saving the

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of the lake and proximity to mountains or even hills.
main-qimg-22d6ad0118934b5b4d41462311acea6e

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of the lake and proximity to mountains or even hills.
Eh? The suggestion was about getting fresh water to those places where it is scarce. Rain has a habit of not falling in desserts. Standing near the Sahara with a pool full of seawater and a fan is not going to encourage it to rain there.

No it was mostly about reducing rising sea levels by pumping sea water to deserts, the second part was desalinisation to create fresh water. You could achieve that using solar still principles or naturally as above. I did point out that the world's deserts are mostly fairly high up, so the viability of taking sea water and pushing it up a 1-2km as well as piping it from the sea is not going to be cheap. The Atacama is probably the best option, but that wouldn't be ideal for natural desalinisation. At the end of the day there is a reason these places are deserts.

re the photo of southend sea front - I can remember seeing it like that when I was a nipper so nothings new there.
Well, apart from palm trees...

I do worry that the environmental cause will be damaged with people pointing at every unusual event and saying "see. Its climate change causing this".

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting Ian H's proposal is viable. Its akin to installing air conditioning to reduce global warming. However, were it to be explored a desert like the Atacama, which is close to the sea, might be a place to start.

A less crazy idea, might be to convert the excess sea, to hydrogen and oxygen using renewable energy

The most important thing for governments and people to accept is that sea levels are rising.
Doesn't matter if you believe it is man-made CO2 warming, just the natural geological cycle, or God ****ing in the sea, but the fact remains the seas are rising, and the world is warming up faster than scientists predicted.

The question shouldn't be, how do we stop them rising (we know that already, but it requires the world to stop), but how do we manage the rise?
There will be massive population migrations forced by this, and nobody will be able to stop them - well, armies might have to start shooting homeless climate refugees.

But as with any political problem we have the usual binary argument, with one side shouting "stop the world" and the other shouting "don't be silly". Once again, some sensible middle ground is needed before it is too late.

you could always freeze it and put it in storage at say the north and South Pole?
oh wait.. duh!

maybe I should be looking at this for my next home:
oceanis51-1_1981.jpg

An alternative to prevent sea levels rising one metre would be to excavate all the ocean beds by one metre.

As the ocean is 70% of the earth's surface that would mean covering all the land to a height of more than two metres.

It shouldn't take long. Simples.

Sponsored Links
Back