this timer ok with my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
will this timer :- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=68654&id=27967
be ok to use with my vaillant VCW GB 242 EH combi boiler?

what does voltage free contacts mean exactly?

my current timer is a randall 103

it has a live,neutral & earth going to a 13 amp plug

it then has 5 wires going to the boiler:-

green/yellow wire to earth pin
black to pin 1 - NEUTRAL
red to pin 2 - LIVE
blue to pin 3 - ROOM THERMOSTAT (i don't have a room thermostat)
yellow to pin 4 - ROOM THERMOSTAT (i don't have a room thermostat)

cheerz

Sponsored Links
cheerz mate

so does that mean it will work with my boiler :)

Sponsored Links
go to www.screwfix.co.uk and type in 27967 in the product box. that should show you the Horstmann C17 Programmer

i have also added more info to my first message on this post

cheerz :cool:

Dont connect any voltage to the links in your boiler if they are volt free switching, it will bogger up your boilers pcb :cry:, you will need a volt free stat and or volt free switching programmmer if theres a link for a prog as well., be carefull if your not sure, it could end up costing you a lot in time and money.

Firstly make sure you only have a 3 amp fuse in the the plug as all gas appliances should only have 3 amp fuses (except a couple of really old ones that stipulated 5 amp) . the wires that go into connections one and three on your randall 103 go into connections 2 and 4 and just connect live neutal and earth as normal . but as pandective says do not put any links in.

Every current combi timer I know of will be fine including that Horstmann one.

If you want a digital one which uses the same backplate use a Danfoss-Randall 103E5 or 103E7. Slide the old one off and the new one on, plus 1(?) screw.
The E7 gives you different times every day if you want it, the E5 grouped 5 and 2. I can get a brand new 103E7 to you for £32 inc p&p.

thanks for all the advice everyone. done it today and it's all working fine :cool:

i can see this forum is going to be VERY usefull to me :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back