Thistle bonding coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The official shelf life of Thisle bonding is 4 months apparently.
What is the risk of using a bag that is significantly older (6-12 months) but has been stored cook and dry?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, an old/out of date bag of plaster can be a bonus if you're patching up or you have a small wall etc, as it'll go off quite a bit quicker, but if you're a bit of a novice, it could cause a problem. If you're unsure, buy a new bag.

Obviously the shelf life on the bag is for a reason and to cover the manufacturers against any come backs by using out of date gear. You would probably find that it would go off quicker than normal, If you are doing smallish areas you could throw some in with your new stuff to send it off quicker!! But I never said that ok!!!!

Great minds think alike rc we both posted that reply at the same time oooooHHH Spooky ;)

Sponsored Links
I used some that must have been about 18 months old. It did go off pretty quick but other than that it has been fine.

Thanks guys. It did go off in no time, about 15 minutes, but that was no problem as it was only to smooth of a bit around a couple of sockets. What is less, is that after 24 hours it is still not very hard i.e. I can scratch it easily and quite deep with my nails.
Nothing a bit of pva won't solve, but I was curious to see if the strength was expected to be less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back