Thorn Oil Boiler problems

Hi Terry, FGT?. I do not think I have seen the baffles for years. I replaced the 5 access hatch covers with alloy plate and stainless nuts long ago. Used plumbers flame proof matting as seals. Did a nice job with no leaks/puffs since. I would not like to disturb them unless really necessary but I do plan a full strip down when the summer is further along. I do have a proper nozzle changer tool and oil boiler gauge kit so should not have to big a task. I still plan a full drain down/flush of system, rads off walls etc. Got a couple to replace due to 'blisters' that are a warning of spray leak? If I was a few years younger just for the hell of it I would cut the steel sheet and weld up a new jacket but I only need this to keep going for a couple more years and a property developer can knock it down and build a block of flats:). Just in case anyone else viewing this thread is interested I have worked out that the 9 fin oil filled radiators @1000w each, that I have going on timers are costing me £1.45 less per working hour than the Bl@@dy boiler.

Sponsored Links
If you checked your baffles you’d proberly get a more economic burn as the baffles hold back the flow of hot air if it was me I’d defenatly use a 0.4 by 80 degree with a solid flame I look after a couple of these but im replacing them this year and I’ve got these running at 87 % but I’ve made new baffles for them and resealed the boiler completely. Bob

Hi Bob, yes I will probably get with it and pluck up the courage to get at the baffles. I am sure that I should be able to repair/replace any baffles provided that I can see what they should have been like. I have a couple of new nozzles standing by for use. 1of Delevan W .75 @ 80' (semi solid) and 1of Danfloss ES 1.0 @ 80' (solid). I will bear in mind your recommendation .4 @80' and see what is out there. You are a glutton for punishment 2 of them to pamper? wish you luck. Wish I could send a picture of how I can test the flow/spray:). I have a large stainless catering tray on the floor and with the nozzle assy pointed at it I can see mist pattern and feel the heat (short burst only, i'm not completely mad) {]);). I hope to keep posted with progress in case it can be of help to others.
Cheers Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back