Thorn Olympic 38/50B Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler, the pilot light has gone out and when I have tried to relight it it will light but when I release the button it goes out again. I have tried to turn the button I press clockwise and leave for 3 mins but the same happens.

Am I doing this correctly? If I need a corgi plumber which is the best way to go without getting the cowboys out and what sort of money would I be talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Generic part is £2 manufacturers part (which is generally a better fit and may last longer) £5 at most.

1/2 hour labour.

Cheapish job, why not phone various firms for estimates.

Can also be the OH stat or the power unit (and if power unit may require a new gas valve because power unit not available for all models). BUT most likely to be TC.

Even if it turns out to be gas valve, fixing it is preferable to buying a combi imho. (Not intended to flame you Kev, each to his own)

Sponsored Links
This is a prety old and inefficient boiler although they are very simple and reliable.

If your gas bill is very significant it might pay to have a new condensing boiler fitted and save perhaps 30% on gas costs.

We would charge about £68 to change the t/c in London IF the boiler had been properly serviced recently. Trouble is many of them have not been touched for ages and are rather questionably safe to leave in that condition.

Tony

music-smiley-019.gif

You should get a Corgi to do it . I`m in Sussex but not corgi :LOL: Agile`s price for the smoke should be the max. for Sussex...Umless you`re in the City of Brighton :(

Thanks for all advise. I have gone with a local reg Corgi. Cost to fit new tc has been quoted at £40.00

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back