Thorn Olympic 38/50B Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had no problems with this boiler, working fine for years, but decided to get it serviced and get a new thermocouple fitted. Engineer came and did the work but after he left there was a smell of gas so called him back next day and using detector decided it was the isolation valve leaking. So he replaced the isolation valve and had to replace a bit of pipe also. Next few days there was still a slight smell of gas then there was a buzzing sound from the bottom of the boiler, next day the pilot light went out. I was able to re-light it but the flame was tiny and went out. So I called out an engineer from a different company. He relit it OK and the flame was OK so boiler was working again, he must have had the magic touch. He reckoned it was the spring in the valve being weak and the gas valve leaking and said I could look out for a replacement but it might be difficult to find, meantime I could carry on using the boiler. Boiler worked fine until next engineer visit. When the boiler is off completely with no pilot light on there is no smell of gas, when the pilot light is on there is a slight smell of gas. I found the replacement part easily - Honeywell V4600A1023 - ordered it and it arrived next day. Then called out the engineer to have it fitted. This time a different engineer arrived, (from the same company as the engineer who advised me to order the valve), this engineer said that it wasn't the gas valve and that the boiler seemed to be operating OK with nothing wrong with it and that old boilers sometimes have a slight gas smell. But just as he was about to leave the pilot light went out, he was unable to re-light it and suggested that there was more than one thing wrong with the boiler, (kettling noise due to scale), and I should consider getting a new one, he did say that he could fit the new valve but it might not solve the problem. My question is since I've already purchased the gas valve should I get it fitted anyway just in case it solves the problem?
Or is the problem nothing to do with the gas valve? Or should I just get a new boiler ? Pity since this boiler was working fine until the service - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, posted this thread here by mistake, this thread is now in the central heating forum.

Sponsored Links
Back